·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car:
1998 Civic EX

Problem:
No horn. The factory alarm doesnt beep either when you arm the car. Alarm still works, as with the auto locks.. but no horn.

What I have tried:
So I took a look at the fuse panel, the only ones I would think would be the issue would be the ones labled "security" there is nothing labeled Horn or anything. There are two security fuses, they both are not broken, and test positve but look burned a bit. Also, when you push the horn buttons on the steering wheel, the relay clicks so there seems to be no issue there either.

Suggestions:
This came out of nowhere, the car was involved in a front end collision year or so ago, so its possible it could be a loose wire.. Im just not sure where to start looking. Also, I will check to make sure the horn is getting power, but jsut from looking it still has the wires conected. Is it normal for them to stop working? It wasnt damaged in accident.

I did a search here, found pretty much the same answer in every thread, check fuses. Thats pretty much the extent of my electrical knowledge, check fuses, make sure horn is getting power. Other than that I dont knwo what else to check.

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol He doesn't need a Horn to Beep at people in the Street.
He needs it to work so it Beeps when the Alarm is going off.

We have the Same Problemo Dawg, My Horn don't work either :redface:
You are correct good sir

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can pull of the plug from the horn and power one side with the battery + and ground the other terminal to see if the horn itself works. I know on 92-95 the fuse is under the hood.
Totally didnt think to look at the fuses under the hood. I will check that in the AM

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Like take the wires from the horn and run them directly to the battery? No I have not. I dont want to change anything in the car. Id rather buy new fuses or new horn etc than mess with wiring.
Exactly how JPB said.

Just 2 simple wires to see if the Horn works or not.

Then you can check something else.

·
Happy LiL Trees....
1,245 Posts
Like take the wires from the horn and run them directly to the battery? No I have not. I dont want to change anything in the car. Id rather buy new fuses or new horn etc than mess with wiring.
No, unplug the connector to expose the two pins on the horn itself, then take a piece of scrap wire and touch one end to the + on the battery and the other to one pin on the horn while the other pin it grounded to the chassis. If the horn works you know its either fuse or the horn switch in the steering wheel.

obviously check fuses first though.

·
Happy LiL Trees....
1,245 Posts
Ok, because I believe if the fuse was bad the brake lights would not work either. Same 20 amp fuse provides power to horn, brake lights, and the interlock switch. Pata might know this better.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts