Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm almost finished with my other project, a 92 Chevy pickup and come spring ill start driving that daily.

Once that happens, I'd like to start work on my car a 98 Civic Ex with a D16Y8 5 speed. It currently has 190,000 plus miles.

I've found a good deal on a "low mileage" D16A6 with 130k miles. From my research it's the strongest/preferred D series block for boost. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to take that motor, and strap a D16Z6 head to it.

I'm undecided between leaving the A6 block alone and just putting some ARP Headstuds in and boosting it around 10psi. Or doing a Vitara build and going for higher boost like 20psi.

What has me concerned is what all it takes to put that motor combo in a car that is OBDII and make it run right.

I'd prefer to run the Z6 intake manifold and convert to OBD 1 and a P28.

Could someone explain to me what all is needed parts and work wise to make that conversion?

This would be my first turbo car ever and to be honest turbos and fuel injection make me a little nervous to jump into as it seems a lot more in depth than what I'm used to which is a Carbed SBC.

Also, emissions is not a concern.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
You will need obd2a jumper harness and a few wiring tricks to make it work. Hopefully you live somewhere without emission testing or you will be screwed around tag renewal time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Emissions is not a concern. Is it true that all I would need is an OBD2 to OBD1 jumper harness and a P28 ECU? No need to do all the dizzy swap, alt swap, etc from my Y8 to the Z6?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm assuming that thread applies for the most part to a D series OBD1 swap?

So it looks like I'll need an OBD1 ECU such as a P28

Splice OBD1 dizzy plugs onto my harness to plug into OBD1 dizzy

Splice OBD1 Injector plugs onto my harness to plug into the obd1 injectors

Splice OBD1 Alternator plug onto my harness to plug into Obd1 alternator

Splice OBD1 IAT plug into my harness to plug into IAT on OBD1 intake manifold

Sounds like i'd also need an OBD1 harness to steal all these plugs from to splice in.

I think I remember also hearing about swapping Y8 items such as the Dizzy, Alternator, etc. onto the A6/Z6 hybrid but that thread doesn't touch on that since it's for a B series swap.

It's not really that much work, but I was under the impression or hopes of that it was a little more plug and play once you had the jumper harness and ECU.

Maybe finding an OBD1 civic with a Z6 already in it is a better option. Just wanted to do it with mine since I already have it and it's pretty clean compared to most others I've found. They're almost all rotted out where I live.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
You have a few things that can be done. Some are easier then others.

Use the 98 civic engine harness and mod(hack) it up to make it work. You can reuse the alternator. The injector,distributor,iat will need to be changed. Will need obd2a to obd1 step down harness

Use the 98 civic engine harness and get adapters for the distributor,injectors. Will need obd2a to obd1 step down harness

Have a custom engine harness made.

If you don't have emissions then all those options will work. It justs comes down to what you want to go with and what you can afford.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.