Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright i searched and i didn't find anything on how to relocate the radio to behind the cupholder. so i thought i'd go out and post a diy on it so here it is, btw it's my first diy so i hope it passes you're standards :)

Tool's needed,
6 in 1 screwdriver, that's it!!!!!! lol
(I already had a aftermarket radio installed so i already had everything wired up for the stock wiring location. everything will fit with no modifying

ok, here's a before pic
100_0523.JPG
first (because i drive an auto unfortinially) i removed the shifter knob
100_0532.JPG
Next i removed the trim peice just under the steering wheel
100_0540.JPG
Next i removed the trim peice just above the cup holder
100_0542.JPG
and the arm rest trim peice
100_0544.JPG

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next to come out was the cup holder trim peice
100_0546.JPG
Followed by the shifter selector plate
100_0547.JPG
then the acutal cup holder/ stash all pocket
100_0549.JPG
remove all the black screws, 2 on the back of the pocket, 4 on the back of the brackets
100_0554.JPG
don't worry about getting the brackets mixed up, there labled
100_0555.JPG

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pocket should now pop out of the housing
100_0557.JPG
so you are now left with a cup holder and a almost perfect radio housing
100_0558.JPG
I reatached the brackets, they only go on one way
100_0560.JPG
Next i removed the radio, with the mounting kit i had it just pulled out
100_0561.JPG
Detached all the wires; Radio harnase, Antanna, and sub out
100_0562.JPG

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you should be able to just pull the wirs from there current location down to where the radio will soon be
100_0563.JPG
wires pulled down
100_0564.JPG
you can't slid the radio in from the front
100_0565.JPG
the screw holes won't line up, instead just slid it in from the back of the mounts
100_0568.JPG
there is usually screw size and length deminsions on the side or back of the radio
100_0570.JPG

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pic of the radio mounted, you should use all 4 mounting locating on the radio. or it won't be very stable, and they should all line up without any problems
100_0572.JPG
There's even enough room ro compleatly fold the face down all the way
100_0573.JPG
and the cup holder lid goes up 99% of the way
100_0574.JPG
reconnect all the wires for the radio
100_0575.JPG
and mount it back to the car
100_0578.JPG

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and now time to reinstall all the trim places
100_0579.JPG

100_0580.JPG

100_0584.JPG
and you're all done, now you just have to cover that hole where the radio was
100_0586.JPG

Next Diy i do will fill that hole just fine :)

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Good job. Mad easy to do, even if your clueless. lol. + Rep for making the write-up.
I did this to my 00 sedan. After awhile, it got mad annoying to have the radio way down below. Especially if you have drinks in the (useless) cupholders.

You need the 96-98 cupholders to do this in 99-00 Civics, BTW. :TU:

·
Premium Member
Red '95 EX
1,066 Posts
cool write up. i would use the empty space for gauges if/when you decide to go turbo. =)

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your input, btw

EJ6, funny enough my remote still works with cups in the holder and the lid up, otherwise i think i would get tired of it too. :)

JOLLY, I've decided to put 2 or 3 gauges in the block off plate along with a usb charger port and probally a few switches. i'll post pix when i get them :)

thanks again everyone, i'll be givin rep for the responces :)

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool write up. i would use the empty space for gauges if/when you decide to go turbo. =)
this is how it looks so far, it's only one gauge but you should get the idea of how i'm thinking of going with it lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i really don't get the point of this mod. the radio is so far away from your reach now. Are you swapping in boost gauges or something in the gap? Why would you want a giant gap in the console?

Nice DIY writeup though! lol

-Luke

·
Registered
165 Posts
exactly what i had in my old setup, i really don't mind the radio being low either because I"m usually not messing with it. And since the cup holder are useless anyway i have made the lid permanently shut.

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good write up, I love the look of the block off plate in the stock radio position. You get one yet?
I just made one the same day, it's my other diy. i don't like buying things if i can help it

can you do this on a 92 if you use a newer center concel
sorry i don't have my 95 to screw around with anymore. so i can't really answer your question. i don't know what the underside of the concle looks like off the top of my head. i'd just say tear your's apart and see if it will work or not. either way you should post your results up here :)

i really don't get the point of this mod. the radio is so far away from your reach now. Are you swapping in boost gauges or something in the gap? Why would you want a giant gap in the console?
-Luke
Thank you, ya i am using gauges where the radio was at orginially. i made a blockoff plate for it. the radio being that far away isn't that bad, my radio came with a remote that works very well even with the cup holder lid open so it's not really that bad. not to mention my radio plays sd cards so i just use a 8gig sd card to store music on and never really have to open the face or never really need acess to the buttons on the face :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts