Honda D Series Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hmmmm.... how hard was that 3rd gear shift? Pull the inspection cover and the clutch fork boot, see if you can get a peek inside and see whats going on, anything I can think of that would cause this going to make more than a slight random tick for noise.
The shift wasnt hard at all. All gear positions feel fine and solid. I looked at the shifter and the linkage and it moving like it should. Im taking the tranny out now to see if something went wrong with the clutch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hmmmm.... how hard was that 3rd gear shift? Pull the inspection cover and the clutch fork boot, see if you can get a peek inside and see whats going on, anything I can think of that would cause this going to make more than a slight random tick for noise.
So now im really confused. I have the tranny out and the clutch off. The clutch looks fine and not messed up in any way. The tranny feels fine as well. It shifts through the gears and spins fine. Nothing is sloppy and there is no play in any parts. I do though have a idea of what could be the problem. Ive heard that the spot the clutch release fork sits in over time can crack and cause problems. Tye fork i have had 2 tiny cracks in it but wasnt obviously broke. I also dont remember putting grease between the bearing and the shaft. Maybe it was pushed to far out and got stuck causing the clutch to he pushed in at the time. Just to be sure its not im going to buy a new fork. Other than that i saw nothing broken or out of place.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
540 Posts
I guess its possible, though highly unlikely, are your throw out bearing or the tines in the pressure plate worn? Any pictures so we can get a visual?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Is that a trick of the flash or is it metal shavings and oil inside the bellhousing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It is a little bit of oil but its because of me getting fluids on it when i was swapping it and there is a little bit of dirt in it cause the last owner lived on a dirt road.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Were both axles seated all the way with the lock ring in the groove? Any damage to inner splines on either of them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Were both axles seated all the way with the lock ring in the groove? Any damage to inner splines on either of them?
Yes im pretty sure they were seated right, i had to use a prybar to get them out and there is not damage to the splines. I checked them to be sure the peice they sit in didnt break off of something to that effect.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Last thing to do is shift it into gear, turn the input shaft and watch to be sure the differential is turning, then clean, lube and reinstall, see what happens. I have literally seen these clutches worn down to the rivets before they let go, so not sure what other direction to point you in, just cross your t's and dot your i's on the install, make sure the bolts on the pressure plate get torqued slowly and evenly, ect.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Clean that crap out. Look how nasty the clutch and inside of the bellhousing look.

Get rid of all the loose debris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thx guys. Ill fully clean it out and replace the fork. Ill put it back together and hope it works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well i the got tranny issue fixed and i think it was the throwout bearing because i realized i didnt grease it so its working now for the most part. If you guys woulnt mind helping again, ive been looking around and i couldnt find the solution to my next problem which could be caused by a number of things. The idle speed is usually between 2500rpm and 3000rpm. Since i replaced the distributor it could possibly be that the timing of it is off. I noticed after replacing most electrical parts you are suppose to reset the ecu and im not sure how to do it but i followed the instructions in the chiltons and while idling it got up to 6000rpm which freaked my out so i just shut it off. When i started it up it went back to 6000rpm again. Idk what is going on or where to start on this problem.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
bad timing is not going to cause 3k rpm idle.

you have a vacuum leak. The idle screw being way out of adjustment would not even allow that much rpm.

Plenty of idle correction info out here, so search for "idle problems" and many will show up.

might have to use google's website filter feature to find good results.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Check to be sure your throttle plate is closing all the way, then start it up and search for vacuum leaks, spray suspect areas with carb cleaner and listen for changes. If its trying to idle at 6000 rpms it may be a big one, like intake manifold, iacv gasket, brake booster, pcv hose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Check to be sure your throttle plate is closing all the way, then start it up and search for vacuum leaks, spray suspect areas with carb cleaner and listen for changes. If its trying to idle at 6000 rpms it may be a big one, like intake manifold, iacv gasket, brake booster, pcv hose.
Will do. Thx

21 - 35 of 35 Posts