Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

This is my thread of my 1997 civic ex coupe that I purchased in August of 2016.

Sadly I am making the post now but I believe I took plenty of photos to progress through the build.

So here we go!

Information:

1997 Civic EX Coupe
Purchased on August 21st, 2016
Listing Price: $1,600
Obtained for $1,400

Bought the car off a kid who traded his jeep for the Civic, Saw the problems it had and sold it to me. The car had a Automatic to Manual transmission job done it it, but it was half assed. I'll get into details about that. Car ran good, No smoking, no overheating nothing. Was stoked, Felt like I got a good deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got the car home and started to look over things.

Carpet was drenched, Head liner was toasted. Radio didn't work, Speakers didn't work nothing.

Car had the automatic shifter sitting on the ground, and threw 8 CEL's.

Went into this car without a lot of information about cars, it was my learning car.

I went and purchased the following things immediatly:

1997 Civic EX Coupe M/T Engine Harness
37820-P2P-A34 VTEC 5-speed MT ECM

Got the parts, and right off the bat ran into some problems.

Due to me finally being able to take out the Automatic shifter, I had to bypass the Clutch saftey switch (That wasn't done obviously).

The car had the automatic 3 wire IACV, which I was able to find a Skunk2 Intake Manifold and a 70mm Throttle body, Super cheap. Why not? Threw the stuff in, Got the car running. Sweet! Progress.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ended up getting some rims for it, Cheap Rotas 150 bucks no bends or cracks nothing. Put those on the car, Was super excited. Lowered the car down and had some big problems. The Rotas were 15" and the kid that had the car before me had the springs all fucked up and the car was slammed on its nuts.

I measured the springs out to 7" Lowering springs. Was able to find some Skunk2 Progressive springs and put those on. Car came up a whole lot and look pretty good.

What were on the car:

Got the car up and here is how it sat:

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,012 Posts
you yanked knoi yellows with ground controls for some skunk2's? I are confused. unless the konis were blown...?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is now running, things are looking good. Put some plates on the car and I was down the road. This is the first time I was able to drive the car in about a month. Progressively did the Harness and finished all the little shit with the auto to manual conversion. Maybe drove down the road for a good 10 minutes and then I ended up blowing smoke real bad. Got pissed off and tore the head off the car, Head gasket was beyond shot and got even more pissed and ended up pulling the motor. (The motor had about 225k).

Looked around and picked up a D16Y8 for about 250 bucks a couple towns over. Threw it in my other honda and got her put in (First motor swap, Had no idea what I was doing but got it done.)

Fired her up and here is what I got:

Nothing like the aroma of burning coolant and oil.

Time to take the head off this motor.

Ended up replacing the head gasket, and valve seals.

http://i.imgur.com/5gkj2ZR.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/2otU6lM.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

you yanked knoi yellows with ground controls for some skunk2's? I are confused. unless the konis were blown...?
Kept the Koni Yellows, Just replaced the springs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't have the knowledge or experience with valve seals, so I decided to listen to my friend to have his buddy do the valve seals. He claimed he "knew" how to do them. That didn't go out so well.

Put the head all back together, New valve seals and a new head gasket. Replaced the timing belt, and was ready to fire it up.

Turned the key, No start, No compression.

Couldn't figure it out why I couldn't get compression. Checked my timing like 3 times. At this point it was getting cold, So decided to bring it to my boy's shop to find what the hell was going on.

Turned out the kid never lapped the valves when he put them in, I leaked all my compression through the valves. Had the valves lapped, and adjusted and she was running like a top.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drove her for a few months (as this became my new daily), and was recommended to a gentleman to paint the car.

The guy painted the car at his shop for the low low, and about a week later she rolled out of the body shop looking brand new. Tafetta white, with purple and silver pearl:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paint job was finished over a week ago, and she looks good. Today I started to do some work on the interior.

Replaced the shift boot and the carpet.

Gave her a good wipe down on the inside.

Really looking to find some seats now.

This is my daily, and the progress is slow but I think this car has gotten a huge overhaul so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got some time to mess with the car a bit, and got some good progress down.

Replaced the seats with some cheapo amazon seats laying around, Did the headliner and got all the panels blackened.

Rolling into the shop:

Getting the panels in with new headliner:

Seats and all:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts