Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a 97 civic ex 5-speed. Its only got i/h/e but it's on its second motor. The car has been acting up lately (hard time starting, and occasionally when it starts, a large amount of black soot comes out of the exhaust), the check engine light is on and when he got the codes checked, it said misfiring on cylinders 1,2,3,4 and an ecu malfuntion. My question is, can an ECU just go out? He's had this motor in the car for over a year and the chasis only has 76 k miles. Midas would want over a grand to fix it but if i know the problem could just be the ECU i know those can be picked up dirt cheap and installed. Or could he chip his existing ECU (OBD 2) and run uberdata and get it tuned to fix the problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Im afraid i cant help you on the actual problem, but i do know that you cant tune the OBD2 ECU. The only way you would be able to tune an ECU on that car is if you were to do an OBD1 swap, then run crome/uber/neptune etc...

Im sure soemone will come along and help you out with the actual running problem though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
please read above, its my brother's car. and besides that we use the same mechanic there because he is a friend of the family's but the price is too steep so we're just trying to figure out the problem. any help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts