Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was going to get a 92 sedan for 800$ when this deal came along, my cousin gave me his 97 Civic coupe for free.

It came with an Si transmission from a 98 with under 200km, brand new front winter tires, a filthy engine bay, terrible fluids, a fuel pump that had gone, a done cv axle, and a somewhat moldy interior, not to mention the leaky sunroof, and the huge crack in the exhaust manifold, and moisture in the distributor cap.

It came with a D16Y7 covered in oil, so it's going to require some loving TLC.

Already installed a walbro 255LPH pump in it, thinking that was the issue causing it to not start, until we brought her home and pulled her apart, found that it needed a bit more love than just that.

My plans so far include power steering and A/C delete, OBD2-OBD1 conversion, A6 head (porting it as well), P28 ecu, Y8 intake manifold, colt cam, and a lightweight flywheel, and getting firsteg to do the tuning for me.

Other than that, for now, I just need to find a new exhaust header, OBD2 dizzy, and complete fluid flush.

That's not me though ^ hahaha

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
So I was going to get a 92 sedan for 800$ when this deal came along, my cousin gave me his 97 Civic coupe for free.
It came with an Si transmission, brand new front winter tires, a filthy engine bay, terrible fluids, a fuel pump that had gone, a done cv axle, and a somewhat moldy interior, not to mention the leaky sunroof, and the huge crack in the exhaust manifold, and moisture in the distributor cap.
It came with a D16Y7 covered in oil, so it's going to require some loving TLC.
Already installed a walbro 255LPH pump in it, thinking that was the issue causing it to not start, until we brought her home and pulled her apart, found that it needed a bit more love than just that.
typical pos y7 manifold crack. canadian Si tranny from 98 with under 200k kms to clarify. there was corrosion on the electrodes in the dizzy cap, and the dizzy was rusted and has corrosion aswell.

a lot better for free than that $800 car imo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha, much better than the 800$ car a little upsetting as I wanted a car that could be on the road asap, but either way, this will be fun to play around with too

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, the car was misfiring when we first went to pick it up/tried to start it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eh, it was free, gotta have some downsides to it hahaha, I'm just glad to finally have a civic

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today, I grabbed a valve cover gasket, with spark plug o rings, and o rings for the valve cover bolts, a dizzy and passenger axle, some oil and coolant, and a nice Alphaworks for 100$

Total cost so far: 390$

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After stripping the interior and spraing some brake clean on the block.

There was a lot of mold on the rear seat, sprayed that down with some bleach, even though I had removed it and don't plan to put them back in. Found loads of trash in the trunk, along with an improperly-tied-down spare wheel, removed it all, cleaned it all up, removed the center console, cleaned up the garbage out of there, have yet to vacuum it out.

For now, I'm just waiting on a response from a guy about an auto Y8 intake mani, then gotta buy a fake O2 sensor, and it's time to put it back together

·
Registered
My car
65 Posts
I hate to say it, but my dizzy cap looked worse than that when I broke down and did it. I will say that I hate oil leaks, though, so those get fixed in a timely manner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
weight reduction!!!!! LOL

buy some gunk enginge brite spray that on the rest of the grease thats on the block let it sit and soak for 15-20 minutes than wash it off.

buy some dc gsr seats and swap rails while your cleaning up the interior!

do work, son!
Hahaha, I'll have to look for those then, although I doubt they'll be cheap.

Good shit!

Those dizzy points! :pinch:
Hahaha, yeah man, for a free car, I don't mind, I expected some work, having more fun than I originally thought

I hate to say it, but my dizzy cap looked worse than that when I broke down and did it. I will say that I hate oil leaks, though, so those get fixed in a timely manner.
Hahaha, damn, really? I can't imagine what it must have looked like LOL and yeah, I probably would have brushed off the oil leaks as something else, or just done it later if not for 40MPGd15b7, hahaha, removing my oil pan for me, showin me what the crap oil looks like. Full fluid flush is needed!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
man, you shoulda seen the one i got with my DOHC ZC....

Hahaha, damn, really? I can't imagine what it must have looked like LOL and yeah, I probably would have brushed off the oil leaks as something else, or just done it later if not for 40MPGd15b7, hahaha, removing my oil pan for me, showin me what the crap oil looks like. Full fluid flush is needed!
man, that oil smelled just as bad as the oil in my ZC did...well, maybe not quite....but almost LOL.

and your dot 3's are black and coolent smells like fish, yuckkk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
man, you shoulda seen the one i got with my DOHC ZC....

man, that oil smelled just as bad as the oil in my ZC did...well, maybe not quite....but almost LOL.

and your dot 3's are black and coolent smells like fish, yuckkk
LOLOLOL Yep, fluid changes are more than necessary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also, got a lot done today, installed the new oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, oil filter, fuel filter, distributor, Exhaust Manifold/Downpipe, and removed the A/C pump and condensor. This made a crapload more room in the engine bay, although it's not running yet, I'm very happy with what's been done so far.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts