Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Honda Civic EX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wearing my nomex suit in case of flame.

96 EX

What fluid is best for the s40 b000 trans? honda MTF or 10w-30 oil.

I have seen both used.

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
Torco MTF from Chris aka Aquafina. Little pricy but we'll worth it.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,099 Posts

this makes, what, the millionth and a half question about what fluid in trans thread?

2 words.

fucking. search.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I have seen people talk about running Shockproof MT fluid these days. Anyone have feedback on that?

Also hear about a lot of people running Penzoil Synchromesh.

I just stick to 10w30

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Lots of mixes and straight fluids that people use.

Whenever I find a manual transmission to swap in, Im gonna try 1 quart of synchromesh and rest mobil5000 10w-30.

Ive ran straight mobil5000 10w30 with over 80k miles of success (but I changed it every other oil change in that particular car)

Changing it a few times a year is better than choosing the ultimate fluid.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I've also ran a 50/50 blend of Pennzoil synchromesh and the cheapest (walmart brand?) 10w-30 in all of my tranmissions I've used. Even used this in the trans with a Quaife LSD without any issues.

·
Registered
92 cx
934 Posts
I thought supertech 10w-30 non synthetic was pennzoil? Also supertech is really cheap and works fine. If you want the best I'd say go with torco mtf.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I thought supertech 10w-30 non synthetic was pennzoil? Also supertech is really cheap and works fine. If you want the best I'd say go with torco mtf.
Who told you it was just Pennzoil?

·
Registered
92 cx
934 Posts
I vaguely remember someone said supertech was mobile1, then was corrected by either you or bone saying it's pennzoil... so is the synthetic supertech mobile1and non synthetic supertech pennzoil?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
A well respected engine builder AND racer has been using Joe Gibbs STF in his race transmissions.

But for the street and scaring cones in a parking lot, POD (plain old dino) is all that is need.

·
Registered
1996 Honda Civic EX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A well respected engine builder AND racer has been using Joe Gibbs STF in his race transmissions.

But for the street and scaring cones in a parking lot, POD (plain old dino) is all that is need.
Thanks Transzex. I will change out my Honda MTF to 10-30 looks like the ticket. Any brands that you recommend. Also on a side note I will be putting in a z6 block will that work on my s40 trans? I have read that it is compatible but would like your input.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
I used to run ole dino, but really prefer Synchromesh now. Even in my MX5, they absolutely swear by some $25/qt Motorcraft stuff. $8/quart Synchromesh even makes the 180k MX5 trans nice. Made it stop being difficult to go into 2nd.

Also stopped my current EX trans in my del Sol from grinding into 2nd. Used to do it bad. Ran 2 quarts for a few weeks then changed it one more time. Done. Shifts great now.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
I'm running walmart supertech 10w30 in my rebuilt b16 trans and have in all other Honda trans I've had. Engine gets mobile 1 5000 conventional.

I always thought that it was considered a bad idea to mix viscosities, don't know why people would mix different brands and viscosity instead of sticking with one or the other.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts