Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 civic lx It cranks but wont start I've put a new distributor and crank sensor in it and still nothing every once in a while it will sputter but when checked for spark it has none. I hooked a scan to it and it wont even link to the car I'm lost...someone please help she has been down 5 months

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked double checked and triple check lol. it just started up one day and died. I've gotten it to run once since then and it was like it was 180 out and it's not all the timing Mark's are as they should be.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Do you have a check engine light? Try jumping the service connector and see if you have any codes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've checked double checked and triple check lol. it just started up one day and died. I've gotten it to run once since then and it was like it was 180 out and it's not all the timing Mark's are as they should be.
Got power going to the coil. Changed the plugs in my wife’s 2000 once started it up and ran for less than a minute than died mf’er would not start pulled the plugs I had no spark I worked back words. I figured it out the coil went out. If u have no power to the coil I think the next thing to test is the igniter/ICM. Hope I steer u in the right direction. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a check engine light? Try jumping the service connector and see if you have any codes.
No cel....can you do that on obd2??I know you can on abd1 but not obd2....I've had a scan tool on it before when I first bought the car but when I try to connect the scanner now it says failure to connect to car so idk maybe bad ecu or wires somewhere..but all the common grounds are good..when it first stopped running the crank sensor wires came out of the clip that was my first enissial diagnosis...it was very wet and raining sideways the day before it broke down it was running really rough then it just started running fine and the next day it broke down

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got power going to the coil. Changed the plugs in my wife’s 2000 once started it up and ran for less than a minute than died mf’er would not start pulled the plugs I had no spark I worked back words. I figured it out the coil went out. If u have no power to the coil I think the next thing to test is the igniter/ICM. Hope I steer u in the right direction. Good luck.
Brand new coil in distributor...it has power to the coil just no spark

·
Registered
222 Posts
Check your grounds. It sounds like you may have a bad one and it fried your ECU

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like Sam stated check your grounds one on your trans.
Also on the coil put a test light on the negative side have someone crank the car if the test light blinks well cranking the car over the igniter is good. Than u need to make sure spark is coming out of the coil if u have spark coming out of the coil than there is a short in the cap/wires.
let’s say it dose not blink the igniter might not be bad it might not be getting the proper signal needed from the crank sensor than test and test the harness from the crank sensor to the distributor for continuity. It might come down to a lot of testing I suggest getting a FSM to help u.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tranny ground and the thermostat ground are good and the one one the valve cover is iffy but still good connection...I'm really beginning to think the cranks sensor wires shorted and fried the ECU...cause it was wet aff and the wires where exposed in the pic
Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Pipe

·
Registered
33 Posts
So to check the timing, did you pull the valve cover to verify that the head is aligned with the engine at tdc? i have had an engine jump/ slip the timing belt before

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.