Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Honda Civic EX 5speed D16Y8
Okay quick little question my car has been having issues starting when there is moister in the air. I get in turn the key I hear everything kick on but one item not sure what it is clicks on the passenger side by the ecu. If I hear it click it starts, if no click sound no start any clue what it is? Main relay? Fuel pump relay? Also Pulled my ecu to check it out I have a 37820-P2P-A31 would this be causing any of my problems? I have electrical problems and this one is just a annoyance. When it first started I could reach under the dash and just slightly touch any of the wires and it would click then start now I'm having trouble getting the under dash random wire touch trick to work. Anyone ever have this issue or anyone know what the hell is going on?

37820-P2P-A31 99-00 Honda Civic EX 2 5-speed
37820-P2P-A34 UP 921-322852 96-00 Honda Civic EX 2 5-speed

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
Sounds like you have an open wire grounding out somewhere.

Time to go underneath the dash and do some detective work. :detective:

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you have an open wire grounding out somewhere.

Time to go underneath the dash and do some detective work. :detective:
I will climb under the dash sometime in July when I get a free weekend and see what I can locate

ignition switch?
The current switch is about a year old I would hope its not going but could be.

Find your wire that grounding out like ajay said and make sure your battery cables are on tight
Also jump your clutch bypass switch see if that gets rid of the problem
All the battery cables are tight! I will just probable grab "Black_Hand" aka Anthony and have him play wire detective. He lives for wires I hate them.
Thanks for the input so far guys!

Random question this is the first time I have had a 96 or newer civic is the main relay supposed to be on the passenger side behind the glove box or on the driver side like every other civic I have worked on?

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First step.

Remove and clean all available grounds and power cables in the engine bay.
First thing I did when I started acting up.

Cleaned and reattached the one on the Trans, Valve Cover/Block, and the thermostat housing.

Also pulled the dizzy cap to make sure it was clean and dry. Which it was!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts