Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Happy to be a part of the site! I figured I should introduce myself with my first build. As the title suggests, I'm in the process of building a 96 ex turbo'd civic sedan. Here we go.

I had to type this all over because my page refreshed which really sucks, but anyway. First step was getting rid of that nightmare of a d16y8 motor. 1 pinhole for oiling is no good for high horsepower applications. Found a nice z6 motor on Craigslist and got to work.

OBD1 is apparently much easier to tune than OBD2, and the z6 crank has 2 pinholes per cylinder for oiling. Yes!!

So far I've done the following:

Head-
Port and polished
Cometic .030 head gasket to help with compression
3 angle valve job
Ferrea 5000+ intake and exhaust +1mm
Crower springs
Crower titanium retainers
Z6 stock cam (sadness)
Hot tanked
Thermal intake gasket
ARP head studs

Block-
Bored to 75.5mm and honed
75.5mm YCP vitaras Teflon coated
Crower H-Beam rods
ACL race bearings
Ported and shimmed oil pump
ARP rod bolts
Ramhorn exhaust manifold
450cc Black top DSM injectors w/ resistor box
Hastings rings
JDM Sport Intercooler
Z6 intake manifold
Z6 throttle body (need to clean this up a bit and port it to the same size as the intake manifold)
New OEM tapped oil pan
Yonaka Full poly motor mounts
Quantum 340lph gas/e85 fuel pump
eBay (I know, kill me) speed daddy 57 trim turbo 20psi max internal wastegated
Custom downpipe
Not sure on exhaust yet
Manual boost controller
Off brand BOV (2 of them, one for backup)
Standard Intercooler piping
OEM fan (needs to be upgraded!)
AC delete
Engine bay cleaned up
Micropolished z6 crank
New plugs/wires (can't remember what I got offhand)
Stock z6 flywheel
Stock sleeves
Z6 distributor (upgrading to MSD soon)
I think that's about it for now...

Trans-
D16Y8 transmission for the steel shift forks
All new syncros
Short shifter
Street/strip performance clutch
New bushings in forks
All new seals

ECU-
JDM D15B ecu
OBD2 to OBD1 ecu jumper harness

Body-
Ripped out the interior except the front door panels and dash
10pt cage
Scat racing seats
Dynomatted floor
99-00 rear end conversion
New passenger front fender
Will be vinyl wrapped a nice gray or Midori green when finished
Stock steelies (can NOT find decent rims that aren't a fortune)
5pt racing harnesses

Suspension-
Stock as eff
Eventually though, all new lca's, ground controls w/ Koni yellows...practically all new suspension

I'm sure I'm forgetting things. I have yet to get software for the ecu to tune it/get it tuned. And of course I have to make my exhaust yet. Not sure whether to go with 3in or 2.5in. Hear a lot of mixed reviews.

I would really like to see at least 250hp off the bat with the itty bitty turbo I'm throwing in it. I didn't realize the turbo was internally wastegated until after I had bought it. Was too excited to get things rolling. Not very happy about it. I was also reading about a D2B trans setup? I didn't realize that was a thing. I can NOT find any good solutions to improving the power capabilities on the y8 trans other than a quaife (which I cannot afford right now).

I will keep you guys updated as the car comes along further and further. Once I get the engine and trans in, I'll break it in and then get it tuned and get some videos. I hope by then I'll also have put the ground controls/koni's on. I would imagine that I probably don't need sway bars all that much because of the extra rigidity of the roll cage, but I could be wrong. Let me know. I will add pictures as soon as I can!

Anyway, I appreciate you guys checking out the build! If you have any advice or anything, I'm always open to suggestions! Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would have went with a higher quality piston than that ycp stuff, but they seem to work for people.

Whoopee Doo racing can help you with building the d-series.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So yesterday i got my transmission back together. Took it apart for new seals and syncros. Getting that snap ring open to push the casing back on was a PAIN! But i got it.

I ordered all new pressure plate bolts because no one stocks them near me...finally got them and go to install them and they are for a b series. Looked around and found 5 of the original 6 pressure plate bolts. Debating using a grade 8 bolt that will fit or getting a new single pressure plate bolt like what i found.

I also lashed all the valves. That wasnt hard, but moreso tedious. Went with a screwdriver in the spark plug holes and watched as it came up to TDC. Once it was at the top, i opened the cap to the dizzy and checked for which cylinder was getting spark. I knew that the cylinder getting spark at TDC is what i want to adjust valves on. Started with intake at 0.007" and moved on to exhaust at 0.009". Everything felt great.

Now its time to actually mate the trans/clutch to the engine and drop it in. Once everything is wired, i will have to start piping for the intercooler and drop the gas tank to finish welding/put the new fuel pump in. Very excited to see this thing run!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have went with a higher quality piston than that ycp stuff, but they seem to work for people.

Whoopee Doo racing can help you with building the d-series.

Believe it or not, i actually posted in a facebook group called Save The SOHC and someone had suggested whoopee doo racing. I messaged them for more information on building the trans. I was suggested to use an mfactory lsd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So tomorrow I will be picking up an Edlebrock Performer X intake manifold to replace my stock z6 manifold. This weekend or next, I should be picking up a set of omni power fully adjustable coilovers as well. I think im going to leave my stock flywheel in. I dont know if i want to worry about rpm dropping real quick unless someone has some advice on that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get a 12 lbs flywheel, not too much RPM drop between shifts.
Is there any specific brand that you might suggest? I hear a lot about Fidanza. I saw one for 12.5lbs on facebook that I considered grabbing, but the guy is all the way in kentucky. I'm in Cleveland, OH haha.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Competition Clutch makes a chromoly one, the Fidanza unit is aluminum with a steel plate bolted to it. I prefer the chromoloy ones, you may be able to find a different brand on ebay cheaper like F1 or something like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up sticking with the stock flywheel. Really wanted to get the engine and trans into the car so I can start wiring and eventually hear this bad boy running.

Guy I was buying the edlebrock intake off of bailed on me (of course). And the omni power coilovers fell through as well. Going to go with the stock z6 mani and tb for now.

Found a nice set of k-tuned coilovers brand new for a decent price. 10k up front, 6k in the rear. I havent heard much about them though. Definitely not cheap though.

I realized yesterday that my turbo was not the specs as they had mentioned on their website (ebay -__- ). It is actually a 50 trim. A little smaller than what I had expected. I ended up mounting the turbo to the engine before dropping it in. Thank god I did because I had to heat and bend the crappy aluminum fittings they sent me so I could get my oil return line to fit.

I'm now looking into a full silicone replacement kit for all of my coolant hoses and vacuum lines. G-Plus off of ebay seems to actually be a decent product. No reviews from civics like mine, but I saw a couple integra owners mention that they have held up well over OEM.

Today I am picking up a Blox traction bar, AEM FPR, and a Gates Racing timing belt (rather be safe, than sorry).

Hoping to hear this thing run by the end of the week. I have a car show to go to on saturday and I'd really love to take this, but i just dont see that happening.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,012 Posts
support the community. use a site sponsor for parts.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
10 lbs sounds like a lot shaved off a stock one, did they balance it after? They are only 17 lbs stock unless you get a CX or whatever lighter one they had.
Are you sure? Well I might be wrong about the amount shaved off ... I think it ended up being close to 12 lbs. Yes it was balanced ... I had zero issues with the rotating assembly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
support the community. use a site sponsor for parts.
I tried to check out some of the site sponsors via the forums, but for some reason, half of the links didn't work anymore. Is there a specific area I go to on the site for Sponsor sites? I've just been using craigslist haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts