Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped a manual rack into my 97 civic. It's a rebuilt rack from Detroit Axle. I believe they rebuilt from an older model civic. If you buy a rack from them, skip their outer tie rods, they're not OEM spec. The rack itself feels fine so far, however as I discovered, it's not a direct fit because the PS rack has a bigger pinion spline than the manual racks.

So that leaves you needing a different steering u-joint, aka "Joint B, Steering"

I've read on another forum that the Honda part you need for this is 53323-SR0-003

However after contacting Honda, they couldn't confirm for me the exact spec of the splines, and I didn't feel like spending $150 on a non-returnable part unless I can confirm this is the exact part I need.

So the saga continues.. The dimensions of the steering column spline shaft in the car is 15mm, 29 tooth. Same now with the new manual rack. Rather than risk buying the wrong Honda part, I bought a u joint from another company:

which was supposed to fit, almost fit, but was slightly undersized. I had to spread the holes a bit by tapping in a big screwdriver, to get it to fit over the shafts. That unfortunately loosened up the plastic bushings in the u-joint and now there is a bit bit of slop in the steering (even though the u joint fits tightly on both spline shafts) which is unacceptable.

So now I'm back to buying the Honda part. Hoping someone here has done this swap and can confirm for me the Honda 53323-SR0-003 u jount is actually 15mm 29 tooth spline on both ends. Around 4.24" overall length.

The PS rack pinion shaft is bigger (Not sure exactly what the measrement is, but that doesn't concern me any more)

The manual rack itself honestly feels pretty good, even with that little dead spot in the steering from the u joint. It has around 4 turns lock to lock. I didn't appreciate Detroit Axle telling me it was an OEM direct fit on my vehicle but hey live and learn.

Now just need to sort out the u joint issue. Any advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I did this swap earlier this year. Brand new AAE manual rack in a 98 DX Coupe. The joint I used was part number was 53323-SM4-013.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
53323-SM4-013
Just from the pic, this rack looks like it has a bigger pinion spline shaft than the manual rack I have. Do you know off hand if your AAE rack has the 15mm 29 tooth, (same as the steering column) or was it the same size as the OEM PS pinion shaft?
---
Update: I called that company and they said the pinion spline is 15mm.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
The shaft on my manual rack is smaller than the the shaft on the PS rack. I can count the splines tonight when I get home if you’d like. The stock joint I removed was too big on the rack side, but the joint I bought fits perfect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shaft on my manual rack is smaller than the the shaft on the PS rack. I can count the splines tonight when I get home if you’d like. The stock joint I removed was too big on the rack side, but the joint I bought fits perfect.
An thanks, that's ok though. Removing that u joint is a PITA and I already called AAE to confirm it's 15mm. I ordered the honda U joint. They said it's a non-refundable part so hopefully it's the right one. I'll let you know how it turns out...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. Thanks! For bolts I ended up using some other ones I had with lock washers. Probably not optimal cause it's threaded for the honda lag bolts. I'll see if the dealer has some of those on hand.

In hindsight I should have just gone with the Honda U joint in the first place instead of thinking I could get a good U jount for $40. But $140 is pretty steep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts