Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 95 del sol si manual transmission having a problem with a code 3,7,22 so map tps and vtec oil pressure sensor all sensors have been replaced but codes return and while driving there is a random ignition cut out happens around town driving and interstate driving have looked through Haynes book with no luck just not sure if anyone on here has experience with the wiring of these cars I no map and tps problems will set the vtec switch code and disable vtec what I’m not sure of is if there is a cominality between the map and tps like a circuit circuit I should be looking into thanks for any help

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Use those diagrams above, find the wire colors for the MAP and TPS.

Likely they are simply swapped around. Common problem, due to them using the EXACT same plug (thanks Honda!)

I have done it KNOWING about this quite a few times. It happens.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have also done this ill have to run through those flow charts i already have them printed before i posted the connectors are not swapped around . i was hoping someone had some insight on something they share as i get all 3 codes at the exact same time like the problem is the same like a curcuit that they share but by looking flow chart i couldnt determine that but i will run through flows thanks for all the input

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Is the ground on the thermostat nice and clean looking? make sure only the harness grounds there, and dont run a spare ground to the battery, signals get twitchy sometimes with that approach.

Reactions: transzex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is nice and clean already tried that cleaned terminal and housing and re installed ground

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Then here is how I would go about it.

Unplug every easy to access sensor underhood. IAT, ECT, MAP, TPS, IACV on the back of the intake, and even the EVAP if equipped.

Go inside the passenger footwell, pop the cover off the kickpanel, and find the 2 wire service connector.

Short it with a paperclip or short wire. Heck, Ive used solder wire before.

Then turn the ignition on so the gauges light up.

Go underhood, start measuring all accessable sensors at the harness end. Check for proper reference voltage. Distributor will of course have 12v, which should match or be VERY close to battery voltage.

MAP, TPS, etc.. should be on 5v circuit, so make sure they are getting at least 4.85v and no more than 5.15v

Double check battery voltage inside the fusebox at the main fuse, and various relay's

Then, while things are unplugged, set multimeter to the audibal beep for continuity testing if you have it, and check sensors for any shorts from the reference pin to ground.

ANOTHER spot to check for issues, is the big plug near the brake booster. It looks like its capped with an older honda injector resistor plug. This is basically a big BRIDGE plug for the injectors (12v) and can backfeed power surges to the ecu, causing random "glitches" if you will.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
If you need further diagram or troubleshooting help, I have full access to Alldata. it is not always the most accurate or informational, but it usually hits the nail on the head for me.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
so it was a TPS issue then.

Reactions: EFB055

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or a problem with the port for the map sensor on the throttle body can’t Imagine 2 different tps had the same problem as it was changed with a new one

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I can only imagine the shaft end where the TPS mounts somehow got damaged, or was installed incorrectly, wehre the "range" of the sensor was way out of whack.

Either way, swapping the throttlebody, perhaps with a TPS already installed, probably is what fixed it. I assume.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts