Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 civic hb
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. well to start off I havent posted here for a while. But im no noob. I just picked up a 95 civic ex ej1 all stock. The guy I bought it from said it has a blown headgasket. But I dont think it does. It does over head but the fans dont kick on either. So first of were is the fan relay? and witch sensor turns fan on? Second the car has plenty off power and will not overheat with the heater on. so I think its just gonna be a fan issue or thermestat.

any help is appriciated! thanks in advance! I have only had the car for half a day and probably wont get to work on it till later in the week. So I havent really tried diagnosing it yet.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Are you overheating at cruising speed?

·
Premium Member
Red '95 EX
1,066 Posts
x2 on previous responses.

but go ahead and replace thermo just to be safe since you dont know the condition of the car as its a new purchase.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
they sell thermal switches and fan controlers at any auto parts store i tried a 20, 30, 40 dollar set temp switches with the probes that go in the rad fins all did not work
but then i got a 50 dollar fan controller with the probe that screws in and it works great i can set it to any temp

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Ok. well to start off I havent posted here for a while. But im no noob. I just picked up a 95 civic ex ej1 all stock. The guy I bought it from said it has a blown headgasket. But I dont think it does. It does over head but the fans dont kick on either. So first of were is the fan relay? and witch sensor turns fan on? Second the car has plenty off power and will not overheat with the heater on. so I think its just gonna be a fan issue or thermestat.

any help is appriciated! thanks in advance! I have only had the car for half a day and probably wont get to work on it till later in the week. So I havent really tried diagnosing it yet.
if you can figure this out, you = noob.

·
Registered
1994 EH9
186 Posts

·
Registered
92 cx
932 Posts
If its got a lot of miles you might as well do a rebuild (thermostat, water pump, belts, headgasket, resurface head (maybe mill it) and do any other maintaince now before its too late and have another problem.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
likely the fan switch, easy to check.

Pull the connector off the fan switch, jumper it with a paper clip, if rad. fan kicks on, the fan is fine. If car gets hot and fan doesn't come on, replace the switch.

22mm wrench needed I believe, maybe a 19mm.

·
Registered
ej8
160 Posts
not to jack your thread which seems to be dead now, my car is doing the same as yours

fan never turns on and heat temp goes down when i turn the heat on but tonight i drove it and its cool out, down the highway it ran hot with heater on and in city it seemed to run at normal temp with heater on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts