Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Honda Civic EX
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I bought another eg8 to fix up she ain't pretty but she's my new project car.

Anyways, while driving the engine will cut off on occasion. While this happens I usually press in the clutch and stomp the gas and nothing, sometimes for 5 seconds sometimes for 20 and them VROOM the engine screams again and I finish my driving or until it happens again.

I've already searched and most people have the problem of it cutting out and dying completely. I think the engine still runs just at super low rpms (no tach so I can't tell for sure ). It always comes back after I stomp the gas a little. It almost feels like it's at base idle and the gas pedal just won't effect the rpms.

Does this sound like a bad fuel pump / filter or more an ignition thing? I have a spare distributor to try out tomorrow just wanna hear some ideas

Thanks so much guys always appreciate the knowledgeable people here on d series who aren't douches like some of the guys on honda tech

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
jiggle your ignition key when you're stopped and idling and see if it cuts out then. could be a marginal ignition switch

·
Registered
1993 Honda Civic EX
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
jiggle your ignition key when you're stopped and idling and see if it cuts out then. could be a marginal ignition switch
The previous owner did say he replaced the ignition switch but I didn't think to check it out.

I'll take a look tomorrow. If it cuts off then I'll assume he didn't install it correctly

UPDATE : car stalls every minute or so while driving or will bog down and then stall. Couldn't get it to start for a good 20 minutes and then it finally started.

The hard to start is intermittent , as of right now it's starting but will stall when driving.

Update 2 : I replaced the plugs and wires and it still stalled out but only once I've driven it for 20 minutes around wallyworld and it hasn't done so yet. I heard a belt slip and screech as it did it so I'm fairly certain the belt slips and the alternator doesn't give the car juice to spark the fuel causing car death.

Sounds right to you guys?

Update three : replaced plugs and wires ,put in a tach I had and the stalling had normalized now and is not so erratic.

What will happen is I'll be cruising at say 2000rpms, then the rpms just hang or drop a little an the gas pedal won't do anything. It won't increase the revs at all. If I press the clutch in the rpms drop down to idle and will either stall or return to normal driving.

I've remedied it for now by just not pressin the clutch and letting the car get back to normal. Could take 3 seconds or 20 sometimes.

Maybe a weak fuel pump or injectors ? I'm thinking when I detach the engine from the tranny it dies because it's not getting fuel or spark but of course the engine will operate at tranny rpms when coupled

Tried searching again this time on other sites and I'm not finding much on this exact problem

·
Registered
Turbo Ford Ranger
21 Posts
I've had that problem on mine and it was the o2 sensor that was bad and making it bog, it was REALLY frustrating... only did it when warm tho. try unconnecting o2 sensor and see if it changes anything. if it doesnt do it again while disconnected then thats ur problem.... Ive had a hard time diagnosing this and looking on the net to find any answers so I went onto my own... Iver unplugged the o2 and it wasnt doing it... ordered a new o2 and plugged it and it just never came back yet.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Check you Coil with an Ohm meter and see what the resistance is.

My friends 90 integra was running like crap.. he would try and accelerate and engine would fart and misfire stall.. RPM's would drop... then all the sudden it would run fine and take off. most of the time it was under acceleration when it would choke misfire and stall. Its pretty fucked when your pulling out into traffic and you try and accelerate and the cars like...Naw im good.. lol We put new plugs and wires on it.. and it still did the same shit. So we are out lookin at the motor one day and my dads like Hey! did you guys check the Coil cause it might be slowly going out. well he was right we replaced the Coil and the car never did it again. My friend drove it for another 2 years before someone rear ended him. You can test the resistance on the coil and compare the numbers to a brand new one and see if the resistance is higher then normal just to be sure its not a faulty coil causing the problem.

Good luck figuring it out, Post back if you end up finding the problem..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts