Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Civic DX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 95 civic DX coupe. From what I have read and know it should have a 11.9 gallon tank. But I can drive the car till the fuel gauge is on the E. The most I have been able to put in the car is a little less than 9 gallons. Is it possible the car came with a 10 gallon tank? The car was built in Canada if that makes any difference. I thought it may be the signal sending unit, but after testing it seems to be working.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,107 Posts
Replacement gas tank for 92 VX?! - Fuelly Forums

the joys of google lol.

"These 3 tank of 92-95 civic can be swap without any fitting or part needed.

10 gallons/35 litres USDM CX/VX
11.9 gallons / 45 litres DX/SI/Canadian CX
13.5 gallons / 51 litres "

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
There is a drain plug on these tanks you could jack the one side up and drain it all out and measure how much is needed to make it full again. Of course do this with the tank as empty as possible.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
You can get 12.2 gallons in a 11.9 gallon tank if you try. The needle goers below E, and you have the right fuel pump that is properly mounted.

Do you feel lucky, well do ya?

·
Registered
95 Civic DX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do know the tank is the original tank for the car. I am the second owner and know the 1st owner very well. This spring I am going to install and new fuel pump. But till then is there a visible difference in the tanks that would tell me what tank I have? I just want to know if I really have 12 gallons worth of fuel.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,107 Posts
run it empty,
drain it
fill it with 1 gallon
go fill it up the rest of the way and see where it stops

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
you nearly always see 88-00 civics with the ability to grab an extra 2-3 gallons at the "E" mark.

Ive ran my 97 civic to fumes, backfiring up a steep hill, and fully out, rolling into a gas station, and put over 13 gallons into it.

Usually when gauge reads at E, I can only put 9.5 to 10.5 gallons in, depending if I add a little extra after the "click off" point.

My point being, on flat level ground without heavy acceleration or braking, you can usually get an extra 1-3 gallons of use out of your car, regardless the model.

No idea if honda did that on purpose, or just a result of their preferred tank design.

·
Registered
95 Civic DX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have run it till it is on the E and it normally takes 8 or 8.5 gallons. But I have not run the car till it cuts out. Before I put a fuel pump in I will carry an extra gallon of fuel in the trunk and run it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts