Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-
I just purchased my first hatch, and I'm way excited to start working on it. I've rebuilt an old jeep and done some work on chevy/caddy/olds but never worked on a Honda.

My 94 Si has 140,000 mi - it's been pretty well taken care of but I'm not sure if the 5 speed has ever seen any maintanence. I've got a pretty noticeable grinding/complaining noise whenever I load the tranny. It's especially loud when I downshift and use the tranny to help me slow down when I come to a stop. Shifting is pretty smooth, I can go in and out of all 5 gears with no problems, it's just that noise when it's under load.

At 140,000 miles, what parts would probably be ready for replacement? Do these symptoms sound familiar? Reading other posts, it seems like the input shaft is a likely bet(?). Where can I get a decent rebuild kit? Would a rebuilt tranny be a better idea?

Thanks for your help-

GB

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
input shaft bearing is the main problem most likely. With those miles i would replace all the internal bearings as well as the diff bearings. Once the tranny is apart take a look at the syncros and hubs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts