Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey DS.org,

I am new to DS; however, this is not my first Honda, but it is my first time back to the Honda scene and building a D16. last time I owned a Honda was 15 years ago and the K series didn't exist. additionally, I must preface this build with that this is not my first turbo car/build either.

so in august I got a 93 civic si as payment for some parts I had lying around in the garage. I quickly realized that the car needed much more work than what I had expected. the original Z6 was swapped out for a Y5. after removing the head to examine the engine's condition I found that piston #4 rings landing had broken off. the head's cylinder chamber casting was pretty chewed up from the broken landing. luckily, the block seems salvageable with a good honing.

i'm guessing what led to this was that the previous owner ran the Y5 completely stock, including injectors and software, with a greddy turbo kit. the journal bearing in the turbo is pretty much seized.

constructive criticism and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

pics to come soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
planning on using the OE intake mani and TB. selling/trading the FIC 1650s, since theyre going to be on the overkill side for my goals.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
so I am still on the fence with a clutch kit. im def interested in a lightweight FW and something that can support 200-250 wtq.

my heart is pretty set on a S300 setup for EMS.

·
Registered
567 Posts
seems like a nice project to start with. as for the lightened flywheel, there is no need for for one on a boosted appliction

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
just don't go too light. my car came with the act 11lb flywheel and its pretty good. rpms don't raise or drop too fast. once I drove a crx with a 7 lb flywheel and lightweight under drive crank pully and it was real annoying....

·
Registered
matrix
68 Posts
Rims look great on that thing. you planning cut the quarters out?

Im not a fan of my 9lb exedy flywheel its very hard get used to. especially with a stage 4 act HD PP.

whats your goals in terms of power?

·
Registered
741 Posts
i ran fidanza 7lb only issues was when it wasnt tuned for me ofcourse i had a smaller turbo which wouldnt fall out of boost so fast also why so big for such a low goal?

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts
If you value your build stock rods and pistons may not be a goo idea if your planning going over 200whp and 7k.
The ARP rod bolts would help for 7k revs.
Who ever tunes this need to get ignition time right or those pencil thin rods will make window in your block.

What is the plan on y5 head, since you are not using it?

Also what are you looking for those 1650 inj. ?

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic Ex
29 Posts
Nice man. Seeing threads like this motivate to get into the boosted world...The wheels look great btw on red paint. Good luck with your build! looking forward to more updates

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love my competition clutch!
(stg.2 pushing w/ 225hp 200tq.)
i'm thinking about their stage 4 unit.

Clutchmasters makes some good stuff as well
I only ran Spec or CM on my VWs. my 687whp GTi and my GFs 402whp GTi had spec and CM twin discs.

seems like a nice project to start with. as for the lightened flywheel, there is no need for for one on a boosted appliction
I want to eliminate as much parasitic drag as possible. light weight crank pulley will be on order soon.

just don't go too light. my car came with the act 11lb flywheel and its pretty good. rpms don't raise or drop too fast. once I drove a crx with a 7 lb flywheel and lightweight under drive crank pully and it was real annoying....
I like annoying this isn't a daily. my TDI is my daily. no gas car can compete MPG wise and I can spank a prius all day in my TDI. LOL

Rims look great on that thing. you planning cut the quarters out?

Im not a fan of my 9lb exedy flywheel its very hard get used to. especially with a stage 4 act HD PP.

whats your goals in terms of power?
thanks.

ive always gone LW FW on all of my project cars.

goal is 250 whp.

fix the rot before dumping any more into it imo
rot will be addressed before the 2014 summer.

i ran fidanza 7lb only issues was when it wasnt tuned for me ofcourse i had a smaller turbo which wouldnt fall out of boost so fast also why so big for such a low goal?
I really like the fidanza unit. I am going with a 2871R because I have one sitting in my garage. it also will be quite laggy for the 1.6 which means low torque numbers. torque spikes is what breaks sh!t.

the other option is a GT35R with an .82 backing. lol. that would hit peak boost and VE by 16K rpm.

If you value your build stock rods and pistons may not be a goo idea if your planning going over 200whp and 7k.
The ARP rod bolts would help for 7k revs.
Who ever tunes this need to get ignition time right or those pencil thin rods will make window in your block.

What is the plan on y5 head, since you are not using it?

Also what are you looking for those 1650 inj. ?
I understand this is not an oversquared engine so tq graph/control will be a concern to keep the engine intact. And, i'll be tuning it myself as long as all goes as planned.

im going to mill the Y5 head and building a spare engine to keep on ice.

looking to get 250 shipped or parts for my build. the injectors will come with resistor box too. PM me if youre interested.

Nice man. Seeing threads like this motivate to get into the boosted world...The wheels look great btw on red paint. Good luck with your build! looking forward to more updates
thanks meng.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts