Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 89 civic lx with a d15 automatic. i just bought a wrecked 93 civic ex with a 5 speed. i plan on wiring the car for obd1 and vtec, hopefully by using the ex wiring harness. will i have any problems swapping the d16z6 into my car, aside from the auto/manual swap??

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
i believe that you have dpfi, so you want to change that to mpfi and then the motor should just go in. Id say my stay obd0 because less hassle for you to worry about. but since you have a donor car like that civic you can try it out. it's your call on what you want to do.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i found some info on swapping to mpfi from dpfi. i also seem to be finding that i can't use the hydro tranny, so do i have not choice but to use the stock automatic???

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
1991 Honda Civic STD
810 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Sucks you can't use the new hydro tranny, those things shift smooth as silk. Are the EF cable trannys that smooth and strong?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
i like my cable tranny its not too bad but dosent shift as smooth as my uncles 93 dx.....but its not like you gotta sit there and try and put it in.....just sell the 93 ex tranny or trade some1 and get a 89-91 civic/crx si tranny.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
btw if you use the ex wiring harness you wont need to convert to mpfi cause that harness is already setup for mpfi.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
the tranny won't fit without making some custom mounts and redoing the cable setup to clutch arm attachment.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BseriesKllR said:
btw if you use the ex wiring harness you wont need to convert to mpfi cause that harness is already setup for mpfi.
thanks a lot,
i wasn't sure about that...

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it also looks like most of the conversion kits are for b-series swaps, so that may not even be an option.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
9000_red said:
are the hydro conversion kits worth looking into, or is that bs?
no D series conversion kits on the market at this time, only one racecar I know of running a hydro tranny in a CRX, he also uses a custom hydro setup for the clutch.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
should i just mate the d16 to the automatic, or will this not work/break something/or suck?

C

·
0 Posts
sell or trade the tranny and get a manual tranny for your chasis.

it'll be easier since you have a manual ecu from the z6, and use the whole wiring and ecu from the z6, no need to do a dpfi to mpfi when the z6 motor, ecu, and wiring is already mpfi.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i guess i'll find a 90-91 crx si tranny? that kinda sucks cuz i got the ex with 80,000 miles on it... and now i'll have a 200,000 mile tranny. but, anything's better than that auto 1.5 piece 'o' crap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts