Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 93 civic lx with a d15b7 engine recently rebuilt. The car runs great, but it runs best at a certain temp (not known right now).

When driving the car cold, it starts to warm up all the way to operating temp. But right before the needle gets to the normal operating temp the car seems to run as if it were new. It barely vibrates, when applying gas it accelerates smooth, it just feels good.

Then it gets to operating temp (the temp it stays if I keep on driving). And it still drives good, it just isnt the best. Its hard to explain but I hope you can understand. Im not complaining about how it feels when warmed up, I would just like as a project, to have the car stay in this optimal temp to see if mpg goes up or down.

I was thinking of hooking cables up to coolant temp sensor and hook them up to a multimeter and while driving see what ohm reading I get at this "optimal feeling" temp. But once I get the reading, how can I make the car stay at this temp?

Fan always on? it wouldnt be the best
Change thermostat to a lower temp one? maybe but I dont know if they even sell them.

Any ideas?

Just to be clear, this optimal point is not when it is still cold, it is when the temp needle is just a half a mm away from the normal warm temp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I was just checking my thermostat package that I bought, and the rating is 170F. SO I guess thats what you meant.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,249 Posts
You don't want a 170F T-stat.

168-170 is when the ECU gets out of cold start tables and onto normal fuel/timing tables. Stock with OEM unit.

175-190 range is fine.

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
i had a dohc zc that i swore would be stuck in cold all the time, took FOREVER to warm up and honestly seemed like it would go back into cold loop when driving on the fwy. never really figured it out, i changed the ect out and it seemed to help a bit for awhile. (car ran great sometimes. and felt like balls other times). couldnt really explain it.. t-stat makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Change Fuel Filter

Air Filter

Fuel Pump Sock

Re-wire the fuel pump with power after the ELD,

And get a tune in-case you are moving more air than expected from a CAI or Exhaust

1 - 9 of 9 Posts