Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, everyone. i have problem with my dash lights only. the dash lights just turn off suddenly but it just turn back on in few sec or min or sometime the nexttime i drive my car. everyother things still working fine like my cd player, climate control, exterior light, side sigle in the Speedometer. my climate control lights are off but still working at that time. i saw my exterior light still working while it was off. i don't know why it happen. i don't think is the fuse problem becuase it just turn back on. i really don't want drive in the dark suddenly. :shocked: anyone has an idea? thanks

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
ccytony said:
hi, everyone. i have problem with my dash lights only. the dash lights just turn off suddenly but it just turn back on in few sec or min or sometime the nexttime i drive my car. everyother things still working fine like my cd player, climate control, exterior light, side sigle in the Speedometer. my climate control lights are off but still working at that time. i saw my exterior light still working while it was off. i don't know why it happen. i don't think is the fuse problem becuase it just turn back on. i really don't want drive in the dark suddenly. :shocked: anyone has an idea? thanks
i have no idea what the electronics are in between the switch and the lights, but if I had to guess:

There's a transistor (electronic relay) that's overheating after a little while and stops throughputing power to your dash lights. When you let it cool down (car off) it will work again. I don't know, but a lot of transistors have this overheating protection feature. Why overheating? A short or something somewhere...

Of course, that's a WAY complicated reason... usually the correct ones are the most simple ones. Start with swapping out your bulbs.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
ccytony said:
Your bulbs are probably burnt out. Every now and then I had the same problem with my CDM/USDM cluster bulbs, climate control bulbs, defroster switch bulbs and so on (problem solved when i got the JDMEG6 SiR units).

what happened with me is the filament breaks which is what happens when bulbs "burn out". so every now and then the vibration of the car moving or when you tapping the area where the bulb is burnt out (the common human response to a burn out bulb) would cause the filament end to bounce and they would come in contact with each other again since the bulbs are so small and compact. then mins, hours or days later the filaments would fall apart and the bulb would go out again.

I know it sounds silly and may not be your problem but thats what happened with mine because i checked it out on my drefrost switch. U'll have to remove the units that have burnt out bulbs and replace them. I tried getting the amber #74 ones they list on the net but they dont' quite fit into the Honda sockets for the dash lights. You have to go to the delaership and buy new ones which up here aren't cheap.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve-O said:
Your bulbs are probably burnt out. Every now and then I had the same problem with my CDM/USDM cluster bulbs, climate control bulbs, defroster switch bulbs and so on (problem solved when i got the JDMEG6 SiR units).

what happened with me is the filament breaks which is what happens when bulbs "burn out". so every now and then the vibration of the car moving or when you tapping the area where the bulb is burnt out (the common human response to a burn out bulb) would cause the filament end to bounce and they would come in contact with each other again since the bulbs are so small and compact. then mins, hours or days later the filaments would fall apart and the bulb would go out again.

I know it sounds silly and may not be your problem but thats what happened with mine because i checked it out on my drefrost switch. U'll have to remove the units that have burnt out bulbs and replace them. I tried getting the amber #74 ones they list on the net but they dont' quite fit into the Honda sockets for the dash lights. You have to go to the delaership and buy new ones which up here aren't cheap.
Thanks for everyone answer my question.. i know my one climate control ligth burn out. so the one light bulb effect all the dash lights? so can the climate control light bulb be change? or i have to buy another one? thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts