Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 EG Hatch
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 98 civic with a "blown" transmission (haven't looked at it yet) and I currently drive a 93 del sol si that has an S20 trans in it mated to a D16Y8. All my searching points to yes it'll work but my only real question is, will the speed sensor/reverse switch be the only things that won't plug in? I can swap things around as needed but from what I could tell the 92-95 and 96-2000 use a completely different style speed sensor. Rockauto part numbers show the speed sensors being identical so that shouldn't be an issue. My main concern is getting the speedometer to work with the S20 trans. This is all temporary until I find a proper trans for the car and the only reason I ask this is because my del sol is rusting out badly and needs replacing. Any info would be appreciated and yes I have searched and know the trans itself will fit a civic just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Yes, as stated above, the manual transmissions from the 5th gen 92-95 cars 100% swap over to the 6th gen 96-00 cars.

The flywheel cover mentioned is different because the d16y7/y8 engines have different transmission/engine triangle braces on the bottom.

You can remove the braces from the d16y"x" motor currently in your civic and run the 92-95 cover if you have it, I believe.

·
Registered
92 EG Hatch
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a flywheel cover on my del sol currently (inspection cover I think its called) and it doesn't look like I have the plate that goes between the engine/transmission. My del sol currently has a noisy throw out bearing or input shaft busshing (not sure which) and I haven't had time to go look at the 98 yet. Is there a way to get the speedometer to work? From what I can tell my del sol has a 3 wire plug and rock auto only shows a 2 wire speed sensor for the 96-2000 models. I haven't compared wiring yet but I'd assume it should be pretty simple maybe.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
539 Posts
I don't have a flywheel cover on my del sol currently (inspection cover I think its called) and it doesn't look like I have the plate that goes between the engine/transmission. My del sol currently has a noisy throw out bearing or input shaft busshing (not sure which) and I haven't had time to go look at the 98 yet. Is there a way to get the speedometer to work? From what I can tell my del sol has a 3 wire plug and rock auto only shows a 2 wire speed sensor for the 96-2000 models. I haven't compared wiring yet but I'd assume it should be pretty simple maybe.
Every EK i've seen has a 3 wire VSS.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
Fuck RockAuto...

One ear on the pass side trans mount might need ground a little, but I didn't.

I can't believe it's been 15 years (or more?) since I put the Dan Phan from San Fran free 5g DX trans into a 98 del Sol while I rebuilt the ISB because of Redline fluid destroyed the ISB.

·
Registered
92 EG Hatch
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I ended up missing out on the car and it was sold before I could find time to go look at it. Guess that's what happens when you work 6 days a week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts