Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ask this question because i have a project car in my garage waiting on engine building, and suspension. the old suspension off the eg just has some tien lowering springs on it. i was curious to know if they would fit on my 91 sedan....

i know its a stab in the dark but i thought i'd ask before i wasted my time trying haha. thank you for any info!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Dampers? Is that the part of the strut that sits in the fork? What about the springs, will the springs (92-95) fit the 88-91 struts??

·
Registered
422 Posts
i think the 92 front suspension is longer than the 91 and earlier. We stuck a set of H&R race springs on my friends 91 hatch, front sat fine but the back was nearly tucked. used the ef/ed struts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Dampers? Is that the part of the strut that sits in the fork?
A shock absorber in common parlance (or damper in technical use) is a mechanical device designed to smooth out or damp shock impulse, and dissipate kinetic energy.
An automotive suspension strut combines the primary function of a shock absorber (as a damper), with the ability to support sideways loads not along its axis of compression, somewhat similar to a sliding pillar suspension, thus eliminating the need for an upper suspension arm. This means that a strut must have a more rugged design, with mounting points near its middle for attachment of such loads.

The most common form of strut in an automobile is the MacPherson strut. MacPherson struts are often purchased by the automakers in sets of four completed sub-assemblies: These can be mounted on the car bodies as part of the manufacturers' own assembly operations. The MacPherson strut combines a shock absorber and a spring in a single unit, by means of which each wheel is attached to the car body.
We stuck a set of H&R race springs on my friends 91 hatch, front sat fine but the back was nearly tucked. used the ef/ed struts
location of the upper damper mount is "taller" then the 92-00 civic. there is is more space to be taken up by the spring in order to make it sit level. the "DA/DB" chassis has the same issue compared to the "DC/DB" chassis.

i would like to know your feelings on the size o the spring lower part compared to the spring perch on the damper. when i looked at them, the spring was hanging a solid 1/4" over the perch. i was not comfortable doing this.

·
Registered
422 Posts
sat in the lower perch just fine, had to remove the rubber piece from the upper perch/cap and they sat inside it just fine without hanging over. only real difference was spring length in out case

1 - 10 of 10 Posts