Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive posted this on H-T but got no response.

I've obtained a EX differential from a 92-95 Civic EX. I've tried to measure the clearance of the thrust shim but looks like it's a tight fit(im not sure about the thickness of the shim though; I have no caliper to measure it). The Helms manual states that it's supposed to be a .10mm max side clearance, nothing about a minimum clearance. Would an tight thrust shim cause problems to the bearing or should I try to make the clearnace a little looser? btw, this is all in a 88-91 DOHC ZC transmission with 88-91 countershaft.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
gonna have to get the tools to measure it.

Feeler gauges and snap ring tool.

Tight shim and the case will NOT go back together.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I've tried to measure it(even with out bolting it); the smaller feeler gauge I have wouldn't fit in there; .038mm. Should I just purchase a 1mm shim and start from there?

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I just measured the clearance without the shim(bolts torqued to 20lbs) and it's around 0.102mm :eek: It's really close to the .10mm limit; should I run a shim that's milled down to .10mm?

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update for those wondering or curious about this setup; Turns out the bearing wasn't pressed in all the way. I took a 40mm socket and hammer to it; put in the shim that was already in the transmission and ended up with about .07mm of clearance. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts