Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously as the title states, the car just randomly shuts off for no apparent reason. No sputtering or hiccups. Its behaves as though Ive turned the key off. Usually once I coast to the side of the road, I turn the key a few times and within 30-40 seconds it cranks right back up like normal and continues on like normal.

Runs friggin great while its running, just every so often it gets tired and needs a little power nap. Honestly, Im not sure where to begin searching. Its not throwing any check engine lights or anything.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Mine did this when I shorted out a wire from my ecu. The wires are terrible at the plugs and one of them gets bent just right when I put my ecu in its proper position. Same symptoms, nothing wrong, driving fine, complete shut down. Yours sounds more like something is getting hot, due to a short, like a re settable fuse on a PCB or something, then it cools and allows current to flow again and thus you fire up.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
My 2 WAG's would be coil then main relay.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Distributor is brand freaking new, not a remanufactured one. It might have 4000 miles on it.

Wiring harness is the same age. Onatop built it for me.

Since the problem is newer than both of those parts, id say it been doing it for less than 2000 miles, im gunna trouble shoot the main relay first. THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'd go after the ignition switch/keyway first. Usually it will cause your dash lights and head lights to flicker on and off, and it can kill the engine, but it's a very simple check.

With the car running, at a standstill, start to turn the key back towards the OFF position. If it shuts off while you're still in the RUN position, or just from wiggling the key around in the lock, then that is most likely your problem. It's an easy fix, too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Havent been driving teh Civic much since Im selling my Suby and driving it around with "For Sale" signs in it.

The one time I did drive it this weekend, it did the same thing again. Driving along like normal, and the engine dies. I was going around 70 so I left it in gear and kept the engine spinning as the car slowed itself. After it slowed down to about 30-35 mph, it just kicked back on and never flinched again the rest of the trip.

This week being Halloween, I doubt Ill have much time to trouble shoot since we are building a spookhouse in our driveway. This weekend though, i'm gunna figure it out.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Had same issue with my old dx hatchback, was the ign module.

·
Registered
EJ1
26 Posts
my 90 crx si did the same thing and some times wouldn't start. id go with main relay and to check over your grounds thats where my problem was and very common in efs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If its my ignition module, thats two Ill have to buy. The ignition module on my 4Runner is also bad. Oh well, Ill figure it out this weekend.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I vote ignition switch too. If you've never replaced one, I'm talking about the electrical switch portion of it, not the lock cylinder.
K, new main relay, still does it.

I tested the ignition switch/keyway by turning the key while its running. It stays running just fine until the key is no longer in the "run" position. Went through all of my grounds, they are solid as can be. Is there a way to further test the rest of the ignition?

I hate electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You'd be dealing with physically worn electrical contacts... further more, the problem is intermittent. The switch can "test" perfect, then you get out on the road, hit a bump or whatever, and the problem arises. Of the 6 or so 20+ years old, 225k plus miles Hondas I've owned, I had to replace the switch on 3 of them. Your car has well north of 300k and 23,24 years old now?

Navigate rockauto.com catalog --> 1990 HONDA CIVIC 1.6L L4 SOHC : Electrical-Switch & Relay : Starter Switch

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 2011576 is on closeout for LESS $ than a tank of gas. Replacing it requires removing the steering wheel (one bolt) and the plastic shroud around the steering column (careful not to break the plastic)... takes maybe 30 minutes, or up to an hour if you're slow like me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perhaps thats why i couldnt find any testing proceedures. Thanks man! Even if thats not the problem, wouldnt hurt to replace it anyway. This car may be going to my nephew in a few months for his first car. I dont want to pass along a problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts