Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
‘91 civic ed4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this 91 civic ex sedan and I was wondering if the d16y8 Vtec engine is a compatible direct bolt in swap to the 91 d16a6 auto trans? I plan to stay d series but I wanted to update the engine to an obd2 option So it is easier to find replacement parts and to diag CEL’s. This is going to be my dailydriver, want to keep it clean and simple. Also, curious about what is required to convert to the d16y8 5speed trans if it’s compatible with the 91 sedan?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,099 Posts
that's not how it works, youll still need a jumper harness for the obd 0 sensors to plug into the obd2 ecu.....the trans will bolt on just fine.

·
Registered
‘91 civic ed4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info slo_eg8.
I was actually researching about the jumper harness today for obd0-obd2. I haven’t found too much yet due to minimal free time at work but I will figure that part out. Also, curious if the trans mounts are the same or slightly different in shape or position, and if the automatic driveshafts will work with the standard trans (same spline count?)... I’m about to look into that online now as well. I’m just not too familiar with the ef’s yet, I had a 97 ex back in high school/college and loved it. I got to know the 96-00 civic’s fairly well.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,099 Posts
if the trans stays the same, then nothing else should change other than engine and ecu.....

if youre going to drop in a y8 trans, then yes, Im fairly certain the axles are different lengths from autos....but Im not 100%

·
Registered
‘91 civic ed4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cool thanks again. Ya I will probably try and just do the engine, jumper harness, Ecu and keep the auto trans for now and see how things go from there. Main goal for now is to get her running reliable for daily driving so I can take my time working on refreshing the rest of the car as they me and $ come together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts