Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 89 civic ef std with a 89 si cluster.. the previous owner apparently did some horrible ground work in the dash harness and it made a wire catch flame. So my buddy gave me a 91 fuse box and dash harness since a fuse melted and wire melted other wires in old harness. Does anyone know the wiring diagram ill need to follow to make 91 harness workn with a 89 si cluster. Of course tach isn't workin, gauge lights and oil light and check engine light are coming on only when headlights are turned on. Fuel and heat gauge ade also not workin. Neither is the heater control lights.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would think you'd need to wire it according to the 89SI, as that's the dash you're using. You can match that wiring up to the fuse box from the 91. Should be identical, or mostly identical. Wherever there's a spare in the fuse box, and you're missing a circuit from the dash wiring, just add it to the box in the spare location.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
90-91 and 88-89 wiring is different for the gauge cluster, I think even as far as the plugs are different for them. I might be misremembering something, though.

Whatever the case, you are going to need a multimeter and the factory wiring diagram. And time. Lots and lots of time.

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
925 Posts
the 90-19 cluster is different from the 88-89 cluster and the connectors are different as well I have both and looked to putting a 89 cluster in a 90 and just left it alone because it was too much of a headache. Like the Beaver said it will take time lots of time and a good wiring diagram.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Ive done this before. It was a pain in the ass. Ended up having to dick around for HOURS to get the 90-91 cluster working right. But it did, eventually. Perhaps I can find some diagrams I made when I did the swap I will take a look.

Or maybe I can get my hands on the car again I know the current owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts