Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
the body was easy to handle with all the extra stuff cut out. Just hung it by straps from my ceiling mounts. Now that its hovering over the honda its much easier to measure for trimming. Looks like I'll only need to touch up a couple of my cuts near the window corners.
clearance for the radiator was a big concern but now that I have things situated, it looks like I'll have more room than I had in the honda and still be able to fit a new tube front end in there. The front body forks will need trimmed back about 4inches but will clear. Will need to make new floor brackets for the seats and move them both back an inch or 2.

Gas tank fill tube will be relocated to the "trunk" with a custom bent pipe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
1 last update for the day. Set the body down and it's about 99% trimmed out. Just a few more small spots along the fenders and the civic floorboard and itll sit flush.
the extra bits of floorboard poking out from underneath are the perfect support for the side skirts so I wont be chilling any of it off.

Will need to re route the brake lines along the passenger side inward a bit and the fuel lines along the driver side need to be bent or re made.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
installed the fenders to help straighten the body out in preparation for the new steel bracing.

doors have been shaved and the hinges flipped to open suicide style. They'll be wired to key fob auto poppers.
putting perhaps too much faith in my garage ceiling anchors lol. They did start to bend by the time I was finishing up.
static ride height will be fairly low, but switching to coil overs will help close the gap even more. I still have a full air bag setup for the beetle that I'm thinking about grafting into the hondas suspension.

Things are on hold now for a bit while I get the steel I need and sort out a proper welder. I can get by with my stick welder for some things but I'll need to pick up a mig machine and a bottle of gas to do the cage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Nothing new to update just yet. All the work I've done lately has been minor wiring stuff and chassis trimming. Also been busy with side jobs to pay for the steel I need. Just about where I need to be to continue.

As for registering, that'll be simple for my area. Will be retitled as an 'assembled kit car'

Just needs a visual safety inspection and a vin check and it's good to go. Follows the same laws the ratrods use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just so this thread doesnt die off while I get my s##t together heres a little side note of where the leftover metal is going.

Since scrap prices are fairly low right now in my area, I'm recycling all the leftover body steel that I didn't sell (roof, hood, rear quarters, ect) and turning it into steel art that I can sell at my local art festival in the spring. Nothing goes to waste lol.
I promise I'll get back to the honda soon lol. Funding is finally coming in and I've sourced out some more cool twists to throw in the build.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like ur comment about the disposable phone, lol. Don't get me wrong g I absolutely love an EF9 but all Hondas are just pre razor blades.
But I like your Advanced Hybrid VW.
Keep up the great work!
Looking forward to the next posts

Honda Mike

21 - 35 of 35 Posts