Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 91 ef hatch in trade, came with a high milage d15b2 that burnt oil and ran rough.

Upon inspection, found that cylinder 3 had low compression. Alternator was dead, distributer nearly fried, tps sensor and map sensors both bad, fouled plugs and incorrect plug wires.

Came with alot of bolt ons that prob could have waited till the engine was sorted out but to each their own.

Tore the motor down, cleaned everything up and painted a few things.

Decided that while its apart, now would be a good time to convert to mpfi using the A6 intake and head I had from a separate build. Giving me a slight compression bump along with the benefits with mpfi.

Brand new clutch, cleaned up the stock flywheel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up the block and crank from the machinist today along with a set of new pistons, rings, and bearings.

Setting up the garage to put things back together now. Decided to do a time lapse film of this rebuild. Link to follow

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spent the day installing the engine and hooking up the harness. I guessed right on the new lengths for all but 1 wire. The starter signal. No issue to extend an extra 4 inches though.

Still need to find a place for the relocated relays under the dash but other than that it's ready for fluids and the first crank.

I couldn't help but throw a couple led bars into the bay not just for looks but for easier visibility to any possible leaking areas. Something I've wished I had on my own daily for a while now.

They do change colors for that rice car look but nice for a car meet at night.

Soon as I'm certain it runs fine, bodywork is next on the list.

Thanks for checkin it out, I'll update as I get things knocked out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First start update

Fired right up after a crank or 2
Valves were spot on. Huge relief that I didn't bugger up the woring harness during tuck.

So far only issue I'm seeing is the passenger side turn signal and running lights are about half as bright as the drivers side. Looking into possible causes.

But it runs, still tinkering with the timing. It's supposed to be off by half a tooth from the a6 head swap but the adjustable cam gear is helping with that alot. Almost got it dialed in.

I'll test again after the first oil change but as of now, it's got just about 190psi across all 4 cylinders. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Decided to take this build in a completely new direction.

I've had a 71 beetle body I've been wanting to do something with stored away for years. Decided it's time to put it back on the road. But this time rolling on a Honda Chassis.

So I spent the day with a cutting wheel taking the car down to rolling pan. Tomorrow I'll start fitting the bug body to the Honda pan.

·
Formerly weebeastie
988 Posts
Decided to take this build in a completely new direction.

I've had a 71 beetle body I've been wanting to do something with stored away for years. Decided it's time to put it back on the road. But this time rolling on a Honda Chassis.

So I spent the day with a cutting wheel taking the car down to rolling pan. Tomorrow I'll start fitting the bug body to the Honda pan.

View attachment 135356
So I'm gonna say it. Either you are one of the most motivated individuals I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, or you just ruined a perfectly good Civic! But Honestly, I think this is awesome! Getting rid of all the crappy parts of the VW and replacing with Honda reliability. How do the measurements come out? Specifically across the cowl and radiator support/headlight mounts? I'm rooting you on for sure! Can't wait to see progress as you lower the Body down onto the chassis!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I absolutely did ruin a perfectly good honda. Like breaking a disposable phone lol. As for measurments. The wheel base is only off by an inch so the wheels will line up length wise. The Honda is slightly wider but I have a wide body kit to fit on the bug so anything sticking out will be covered up by the fenders. Headlight mounts on the honda and the radiator core support will need to be chopped out and a new triangular shaped one fabricated in its place. Many pics to come as I start mating them.

Love it or hate it. It's happening XD

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
small updates for now. Pulled the dash off and bagged up all the loose wires so it's not distracting.

Down to the hard part.

The rear of the car has plenty of non structural metal that can be cut away to fit the bug. And the front of the car can be trimmed back another 5inches or so without moving the subframe.

The hondas pan can be brought down to about 55 inches wide after all trim is removed. The challenge here is the bug is shaped like an avocado and goes from 55 inches at its widest point to 48 inches just behind the front tires and another step down to 29 inches at the grill. Luckily I have a wide body kit for this bug that will widen the front of the bug by 3.5 inches on each side and 4.5 inches in the rear.
essentially the floorboard will need to be cut fairly close to where the measuring tape is. Before I get to that I'll be making a trip to the steel yard to fab up new running boards and cross sections.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

A little end of day update:

1 side post left to cut into on the passengers side and I'll be ready to chase the floor pan.

My plan is to put the honda chassis up on Jack stands and slide the vw pan underneath it. (Vw pans are almost completely flat when stripped bare)

Then I'm going to use it as a template to cut into the floor pan at the correct angle. Since tomorrow will be monday at the time of this post, I should have steel tubing on hand to build the new body bolt down locations
I didn't have any pics of the rear fenders but they're even wider than the front so in the end the honda will fit under the vw body nicely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I realize theres this build will upset alot of ppl but in the end the decision came down to cost vs. profit. This car sold in my area would bring in roughly 1500-1800 on a good day. It was a clean car yes but still a 28 year old economy beater.

However, should I succeed In safely building a classic bug/honda hybrid the skys the limit as it'll be the only one of it's kind that I know of.

·
Formerly weebeastie
988 Posts
Even more work done! So do you have a completion or even a thought as to when you'll be close to finishing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shooting for legal drivability by the end of this week. Picking up the steel I need to reinforce the pan tomorrow. Shouldnt take more than a day or 2 for clearancing the bug body to fit on the honda chassis. After that it's just wiring up the civic harness to the aftermarket lights I already have for my bug and I'm good to drive.

I don't like dragging builds out forever so I tend to move at a sprinting pace lol. This thing will be show ready by the end of the year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
should be plenty of room to get the honda under there now.
still need to cut out the rear but need to weld in some bracing so the body doesnt deform first.
last of the side rails cut out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts