Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey transmission people,

Following similar steps as recorded by mrtodd on this forum (Wishing I had seen this before I completed my rebuild) I used a rebuild kit from allstategear including new synchros and also all new dampers and washers and shims from Honda to freshen up my L3 transmission.

Everything went back together fairly smoothly - also installed new flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and clutch.

BUT - on the test drive I find it will not stay in 4th gear on the road.

All gears engaged just fine when 'bench' shifting. All the gears work on the road fine too, except 4th. I can hold it in 4th gear and drive - but the second I let go it slips out with a whirring grinding sound.

This stock trans worked fine before my amateur rebuild except for a 2nd and 3rd gear grind. Hence the rebuild with synchros.

Linkage was rebuilt with urethane bushings before the trans was removed and shifting was fairly precise and firm prior to this.

It 'feels' or seems like the shift fork is not getting the 4th gear fully engaged.

I will closely examine the linkage again - but it is not really adjustable.

I'm afraid it has to come out and be taken down for a closer examination of the hubs and forks.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Any ideas, recommendations?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have pictures of the rebuild? Try swapping out the linkage before pulling the trans.
Yes - I have lots of pictures at various stages of disassy and reassy - and closeups of the gears, forks, etc.

Shifted fine on the bench and when not under load in the car.
Thinking a weak synchronizer spring?? Maybe inverted the 4th gear slider sleeve to a previously bad side of teeth?

Yes - will definitely rule out the linkage before pulling it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the linkage while leaving the transmission in 4th gear.
Started the motor and slowly let the clutch out.
Result - whirring grinding sound - of 4th not totally engaged.

The trans will need to come back out to inspect why the shifter fork 'seems' to be not fully engaging 4th gear. More to come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts