Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i bought a 91 civic for 300bucks lol i know it's stupid but it ran fine on my test run which was short and it also ran fine on my 40 mile drive home. Within a week it would run fine until i turn it off then go to start it and it would run super rough for a min until i got the rpm up then it would go away. Now as soon as it warms up it starts running super rough with or without throttle and will even die if let to idle or during shifting sometimes. It's blowing lots of white smokeduring this but i did put sea foam in it so that could be part of it. I'm totally lost.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,939 Posts
white is usually water.....leak down test and a compression test to see if you might need a new head gasket

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look at that thanks, i did check the oil for water and coolant foroil and didn't see anything wrong there so I'm hoping its not a head gasket

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
headgasket, or something else is letting coolant into the combustion. the 97 civic I gave away did the same thing.

Generally result of cheaping out on the headgasket, or if original, a symptom of honda's use of a compound gasket.

It is an easy job, even for fresh mechanics. Just download freely available tech manuals, follow all torque specs and procedures, and enjoy a reliable car once again.

Use MLS (multi-layer-steel) headgasket. Even the cheap MLS gaskets work well if you make sure they are CLEAN prior to install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts