Honda D Series Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
4,831 Posts
Good god man, the people 3 cars behind you will know you need gas lol. Nice work though, I take it that it's hooked to the guage to go off at "x" level since the car didn't have a light originally?

·
Tape-R taper/driver
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Actually, the light is for coolant temp overheat. The engine has the thermostat housing off a later D-series, so the fan switch is in the TS housing. I bought a 230ºF switch from Longacre to replace the original fan switch in the back of the block.

Just ordered a coolant system pressure switch (comes on below 3psi) that will have an amber light below it.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
4,831 Posts
Well that makes alot more sense, I thought each picture the fuel lever was getting lower lol.

Lights are easier to monitor or more/less not monitor so less driver distraction from looking at gauges.

What else are you doing to prep for the sprint and enduro races on the 29th?

·
Tape-R taper/driver
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Really, everything else has been done.

Engine is fresh and will be dyno tuned on the 22nd. Brakes are new, front end suspension is new. Tires are new. New clutch. New solid engine mounts.

Should have a complete A6 drivetrain for back up next week.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Got the engine bay painted last night. Car starts getting put back together tonight and should be running by the weekend.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Battle ship in the bay

·
Tape-R taper/driver
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Fired up the engine for the first time last night. Sounds pretty good.

Will get some video tomorrow on the dyno.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Sounds like it is ready for battle.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
So, the Tape-R had headgasket issues at TWS. Fortunately, I was the only one signed up to drive, so I didn't have to worry about others not getting track time. I used an MLS gasket, so an OE Honda composite gasket is on order to see if that will get the head to seal.

The weekend wasn't a total loss, though! I also assumed the Crew Chief role for my friend's team that was racing in the 16-hour enduro and we brought home a 3rd place finish in class (9th overall) out of 23 cars in class (87 overall).

Here is a video recap of the weekend:

·
Tape-R taper/driver
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Following the overheating/overpressurized coolant system issue at TWS, the Tape-R got a new head gasket. Drug the car up to my home track for another shakedown weekend, and went right back on the trailer after a couple of laps in the first session; overheating again. DAMMIT!!!

Was just going to call it a day, but slebidia convinced me otherwise. Headed over to his shop where we proceeded to give the engine bay a once over. After performing a compression and leakdown test, the number were solid and we knew the block and head have a good seal. Next item on the list was cooling. Upon removing the radiator, it was apparent this was our culprit. Most of the fins directly behind the radiator duct in the bumper cover opening were smashed.

In went a new radiator and I made the haul back up to the track for Sunday's racing. First session went great, car got up to temp to stay there and it was time to relax and enjoy the day racing! ...but it was not. Driving through grid and about to enter the track, the car loses all motivation. I can get into all the gears and when the clutch is engaged the speedo moves up with the revs. After getting towed back to the paddock and the car in the air, the driver's side CV shaft is dislodged from the trans and oil is seeping.

Get the CV back in and the next session is qualifying. Couple of warm-up laps behind me and the car is feeling solid, time to pick up the pace. 1 hard lap ticks by and the car is feeling really good. Start chasing down my friend and teammate in his enduro Miata and I'm reeling him...until I get to track out of an uphill, off camber right-hander and there is a pop and instant smoke! I knew exactly what happened; CV came out again and all of the oil that was loaded up against that seal was now on the collector of the header directly below it. :(

Car on the trailer again and head back home with more problems than I left with and our 24-hour race closely approaching (July 25-26). I've been working on the car solidly between TWS and the home trackday, I needed to take a break from being in the shop so much. A week went by and the car sat. That was a good decision. In an afternoon, the front corners were disassembled, the transmission was out and disassembled, the differential was out and disassembled. You might have come across my WTB/ISO post looking for a busted OBX, the reason: the input gear on the driver's side was missing half of tooth. Not going to risk putting that back in...even if the car is a budget racer! Have you tried to find spare D16A6 and Si cable transmissions? They aren't as plentiful as they used to be, and it isn't worth risking having the car down due to a breakage during the race.

Parts piling up at work, race day is coming!

Not able to find a replacement input gear and not being able to swing buying a new legit LSD, this past weekend starts and the old, reliable OE open diff found it's way back in with new bearings. This is where the fun starts! The forecast for this weekend is 98-100ºF with a heat index between 105-110º. The high temps started just before noon and lasted well into the evening after the sun set. We had a 28 pack of 20oz bottled water in the fridge, after the first day, the 2 of us were 3/4 through that pack with head aches and a car pretty much in the same condition we started the day.

To back track a little after setting the environmental stage. The same friend and teammate - from the track day paragraph above - came down to help get the car finished. He was tackling the interior while I worked on the engine bay. It was hot. We had every fan in the shop blowing in our general direction (about 10 fans) and we went through water as fast our our bodies were leaking it through our pores. I started with a transmission that needed to be reassembled and meant starting with the differential. Since the OBX wasn't going back in, I needed to get the plastic speedo gear off, but the bearing was still in the way. My usual method of prying it off wasn't going to work as that would put a lot of force on the gear, likely breaking it. A quick trip to Autozone revealed they didn't have a thin enough puller to get under the bearing. Luckily, Steve's Tools was nearby and they happened to have a Thin-Jaw Bearing Puller on the shelf. Back to the shop and some "modifications" later, the bearing is off and the OE open diff is back together and in the trans.

The transmission goes back together relatively smoothly. Only hiccup was I grabbed the gear sets without supporting the input shaft and 5th slipped off top. No worries, got it put back on and with the normal case to base struggles, the transmission was bolted back together. Next, trans back into the car and shifter connected...but...why is it so difficult to get out of 5th and WHERE THE HELL IS REVERSE? Ah, crap. Guess what happened next? Yep, transmission back out and the picture above is after it came back out.

So, the trans comes apart again, fresh RTV scraped off the case and looking through the trans figure out why I can't find reverse. The reverse lock-out mechanism is functioning properly, all of the mechanisms you don't normally remove to replace the differential are working properly...but it just will not find reverse. It was getting close to the end of the day and I was beat from the heat and from being on my feet for 12 hours. My cohort, who had been in the car all day working on electrical and seat/belts, had already thrown in the towel due to a strong headache and nausea from heat exposure and retired to the car with the A/C on. Daunted and on the edge of doing the same, I got the gear sets back in place and started shifting through the gears. 5th was not happy with being engaged. Remember above the little hiccup? Yeah, something didn't go back together right. Removed 5th down to the syncro and got it put back together, finally dry-shifting through all of the gears (probably should have did that the first time, rigth?). Trans is RTV'd and torqued to spec, it's time for a shower and sleep!

The next day...oh the NEXT day! Things finally go smoothly. Trans is in - and shifting properly! - , the engine bay is put back together, new suspension parts on the corners and friend is done with the interior. It looks like a race car again!

Tape for the theme came in today and the car is getting new tires and an alignment tonight! I think it's gonna be a good day, Tator!

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
yeesh that looks like a pretty rough stocker where the bumper opening is. I'm curious how different your temps will be as well.

keep up the good work!

·
Tape-R taper/driver
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I'll get something typed up tonight or tomorrow...but just know, it was a GREAT racing weekend!

Little sneak-peek below:

81 - 100 of 128 Posts