Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back at the end of 2011, I got hooked on racing in the LeMons series.

At the time, my team had a '96 Miata that we couldn't seem to keep an engine in. 3 races, 3 engines.

The last race the Miata participated in was a full 24 hour race at ECR in Decatur, TX. I had acquired a free Si shell from a friend and through a couple of Miracle we had a two car effort at the team's first full 24 race.

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first race was a time crunch. Trying to get a new car built and an old car up to snuff for a full day and night of racing was a task that I tried to take on mostly myself and only asked for one of the drivers to install the cage in the Tape-R.

Time ran out and after the car missed most of Friday practice, we got the car through tech but left the dash and instrument cluster at the shop 4 hours away.

Ran the whole 24 hour race with no gauges and never overheated (that we know of) nor ran out of gas running 2 hour driver stints.

The Tape-R finished in the top 15.

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next race, the car was prepped well beyond where it was at its debut.

Gauges were installed and the wiring was simplified >

...and we did a pretty good job on the theme >

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The second race was a split 14 hour, so we had Saturday night to work on the car and being as it ran so well we decided to have some fun with our theme.

Saturday night after the day of racing >

Sunday morning >

The CEO of Wonder Bread laid off all the drivers and sold the car to Walmart. :)

We picketed >

...and walked away with some hardware - Judges' Choice

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, I forgot to talk specs

It has a D16Y7 with a Si D-series cable trans. Weighs in at 1997lbs with a full tank of gas and no driver.

It's decently quick for a stock engined car. We still get our doors blown off by the bigger engined cars...but that will change over the winter. ;)

Currently running on some cut OE (not to this car) springs and OE (not to this car) shocks.

We've tried some aero work, but I don't have any good pics of it hosted so I'll try to get those later.

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Booo. No civic deserves leMons!!

Edit
You should be able to beat those bigger engines cars.
I have a clean B16B swapped CRX and am currently building an A6 for boost in my RT4WD Wagon.

All '91 model years. ;)

Edit
We do beat the bigger engine cars, just can't do it on the straightaways. ;)

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our last race was in May at ECR again, below is one of our driver's accounts of the weekend >

JimR said:
The Team OK-Speed "Dream Team" came to ball at North Dallas Hooptie 2013.

We donned our windsuits and cranked the jam box in homage to Patrick Ewing's flat-top and early '90s streetball masterpieces such as White Men Can't Jump, and Arch Rivals for your Nintendo Entertainment system. The Tape-R took the form of the freshest hi-tops available in the era of Bird v. Jordan ("and...nothin' but net").

Unfortunately, the car had more hang time than a dunk contest.

My arrival was slowed by sideways-blowing heavy snow - ah, Arkansas in May - and I arrived just in time to discover that the engine did a Scottie Poppin minutes into the Friday shakedown session.

Crack wrenching got the backup engine running in four or five hours, but it came off the bench consuming oil. We had to pit hourly all weekend long to top off the oil. The pressure plate also started going out, forcing us to run the Saturday session in fourth gear and make an overnight clutch change. The brake rotors warped into the shape of Pringles, rounding out the hooptified experience.

Still, we kept turning laps, raced cleanly, and most importantly, didn't have a cow, man. The car took the checkered flag in strong form, finishing well into the teens on the overall charts. Had a blast. Congrats to everyone who took home the hardware.

We even made the C&D page > North Dallas Hooptie 24 Hours of LeMons Inspections: Aliens, Toxic Waste, and a 210ZX | Car and Driver Blog

Unfortunately it was because our fresh engine blew after 5 laps. Remember Kids: When putting a D-series back together you should always make sure the oil restrictor between the block and head is there!

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We got game, BOOOYYYYY!

nothin' screams baller like a denim hat and a big gold chain

quick game of horse to get the blood flowing

Team OK-Speed, playing with their balls. LowFlyin has the fastest shoe at the track

Trick Dunk contest while waiting their turn

White Men Can't Jump...but they can do cartwheel dunks if you give them a couple attempts

Iloveofframps is the hardest white boy in the hood
JimR is the whitest kid you know
TMoney is stepping up solid for a nemb
and LowFlyin is always willing for you to come at him bro

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JimR delivering the bribes to Judge Phil

Bribery is encouraged

Bribery gets you stenciled

LowFlyin telling Judge Phil just how crappy this car is

Judge Phil, trying to decide just how cheaty this car really is

Class A, no laps (three races in this car, the judges have never popped the hood during tech)

Team pic after BS Tech:

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
going to watch one of the 24hr lemons race this weekend at VIR :p
You picked a good one to go see! There are some LeMons elite supposed to be in attendance and some really cool builds that will make their debut at the VIR race.

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We had another race in September of last year at MSR-Houston.

We're Fraunch!

New front splitter!

I had gone through the engine, fresh bearings and we were ready to rock.

Car performed great at the autoX a week before, but the clutch pedal was feeling a little funny. We knew the cable was old and had already acquired a new replacement. I went to change the cable out before loading the car on the trailer and the release lever is sloppy and the clutch is no longer being disengaged. Yay! Last minute trans pull!

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Got through it. Buttoned up, ready to go!

After arriving at MSR-H a few hours behind schedule due to the late night trans thrash and losing a trailer tire within the first hour of leaving the city, we got our paddock setup. OU was playing a big game that weekend and one of our drivers didn't want to miss the game!

The Tape-R runs fantastic during Friday practice. And we get through tech and BS swimmingly. The Tape-R was finally classed in B!

20 minutes into the race (this was a full 24 hour race), the engine started overheating.

Came in, the radiator was low so we filled it and got back out on track. 20 minutes later, overheating again. I noticed it was only overheating when I was following another car and when I would pop out from behind the temps would come back down. For this race, I also installed an oil cooler and it was mounted in front of the radiator. Came in again, topped off the radiator and moved the oil cooler out of the flow of the radiator. The next driver came in around the 15 minute mark.

So, headgasket. Damn. :(

Get the car up in the air and start tear down. The head bolt nearest to the passenger side on the firewall was free spinning. There's our guy.

The local box stores didn't have the proper tap, so we were SOL on trying to fix it the right way. One of the other EF teams had a couple of broken engines in various stages of completeness. They had a box full of head bolts, and there just happened to be a M14x1.5 set in there. Back to the box store, grab a cheap tap&die set and jb weld, and back to the track. Tapping goes slow, but we make progress.

I was sure the tap was going in square, but after installing a bolt, I was probably close to 20° off. That wasnt' going to fly. On the verge of throwing in the towel, I had a "fuck it" moment. Bored out the one head bolt hole in the head so the larger bolt can fit through, put the new head gasket on, and bolted down the head up to the problem. Took the new head bolt and used it as a tap and tightened it down as far as I felt I could without risking the block. I'm a little under 2mm short of the bolt seating. Pull the bolt out, throw a washer on and mix-up some JB weld and use it like thread locker. Get everything torqued to spec, bolted the car back up and we are on the track 7 hours later.

The car is flying! Other than one of our drivers getting disoriented during the night due to fatigue and some ridiculously bright lights from a competitor, the rest of the race went without issue. We ended up finishing in the top 50% of the field.

We did acquire a cow due to the overnight visit to the penalty box.

I am absolutely dreading tearing that motor down, so hopefully it will die a spectacular death and I won't have to even consider it! lol

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah, they were welding water jetted animal silhouettes to cars that came through the penalty box. Most of the cars had 1. There were a few with 2, I think one team collected them all (5 different animals). LOL

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
We usually do. The engine in the Tape-R for MSR-H was the back-up engine.

We have enough spares to almost build another car if we had another shell. :)

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So, the Tape-R ventured out again, this time for our first WRL (worldracingleague.org) race at our home track, Hallett (hallettracing.net)

Went a little lighter on the theme, but still pursuing the same amount of fun! It was another two car effort as one of my teammates spent 8 months building a very nice, NASA legal, Miata.

Name of the team is Rocksteady Racing:

Gridding up!

The vinyl had some difficulty sticking to the tape, so we fixed it with Gorilla tape overnight. :)

· Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Getting ready for grid on Day 2

Rocksteady ready to go!

Tape-R ready, too.

First corner after Start on Day 2:

So, back on page two, you will see that we had a problem with a head bolt. Well, after 2 trips to Hallett and numerous autoX runs the engine was deemed solid. Well, we started losing water and after about 45 minutes of track time the radiator was empty. Tried the pepper trick and it seemed to work, we were only adding 1/2 gallon of water per driver stint. After it sat overnight, it decided it wasn't having it.

Too late in the day to do anything with the engine, we figured out that cylinder #1 was pressurizing the coolant system, so pulled the spark plug out of cylinder #1 and unplug the injector allowed the cylinder to vent to atmosphere. We now had a 3-cylinder Tape-R go-kart as it sounded like a Briggs and Stratton tearing (slowly) down the straights. Only lost 7 seconds off the pace, though, and were still able to turn faster laps than a few cars.

For our efforts and no-quit attitude, we were awarded Organizer's Choice!

Another great race, can't wait to do it again!

...and the best pic of the weekend!

We use WifiLapper for in-car telemtry, this is the data it spit out from our previous testing at Hallett

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.