Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Been a bit since I posted about on the civic.

I've been chasing some gremlins through the electrical system. I re-soldered the main relay to fix my warm start problem. :detective:

I pulled out the icu and did some re-soldering there too. It had a burned trace that doesn't look good :( , So, I'm gonna be keeping an eye out for a new ICU.
ICU.jpg

I had the sheet metal back wall in the shop today. It is almost weld time! :blue:
I'll be cutting for the window hole tomorrow.

0717171313a.jpg

0717171452.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I fixed the rattle in my roof tonight. I got the idea from a guy who has been doing bodywork for over 20 years.

IMG_20170805_025059.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
^That's pretty much what the factory stuff looks like on the webbing under the hood of my car. Shit works good!
That thing is awesome!!!
Thanks!! I appreciate the support. It took the rattle right out of the roof. :TU: The ride is allot quieter now.

I got some other work done this weekend.

IMG_20170818_131251.jpg
IMG_20170818_142815.jpg
IMG_20170818_145319.jpg
IMG_20170818_155752.jpg

I am happy with all of it, accept for the driver side wall panel, I didn't have a square corner to cut it from, and it is a bit off. I may re-cut it. we'll see.

Three weeks ago I had to change the fuel pump. It was vapor locking on me on hot days after it warmed up. So, I drained all of the nasty gas out of it, changed the pump and replaced the fuel filter.
bad gas.jpg
After I replaced the pump and filter it was still dying at idle after it warmed up. It also developed an intermittent no-start situation after it would die at idle.

I didn't like that when I re-soldered the main relay 2 months ago that brown stuff oozed out of the circuit board; I figure that may have something to do with the no-start problem. So, I replaced the main relay with a new one and immediately fixed that.

The family car died (tranny suddenly ate its own internals) it was a wrecked car I got off the insurance auctions almost 3 years prior, it definitely paid its own way and did not owe me a dime. So, L-Civic out of necessity has become my daily driver (a 90 mile round trip to work).

After I replaced the main relay after the engine was warm it would run until I would try to quickly accelerate from stop, it would sputter and die, (If I accelerated slowly it would go with only a little hesitation). But after 2 primes it would start again and smell really rich (the back being open helped me notice that). I installed a fuel pressure gauge right on top of the fuel filter (output side) and saw that the pressure at idle was 42 with the FPR connected to the vacuum line and 54 PSI with the FPR disconnected. My Chilton manual says 36 PSI is normal.

I did some reading here and on the H/T Forum and found that it probably had a partially clogged line somewhere or I had a bad cap and rotor. I started with the cap and rotor, I saw no cracks or scorch marks in the plastic like I've seen in my old '86 chevy; But the rotor and terminals were a but dirty, so I cleaned the rotor and terminals inside the cap with some sand paper and put that back together.

A partially clogged fuel line made sense from the color of the gas I drained out of the tank. So, I talked to my older brother he suggested that I try Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

I put a bottle of that in the tank and filled it. After about 300 miles of driving with the Techron the engine runs much smoother and rarely dies compared to before, but it still does die and like before after 2 primes it starts. The pressure is still high. at idle it runs about 48 PSI with the FPR connected to the vacuum line and 56 PSI with the FPR disconnected. I'm planning to get a new FPR soon, and see if that fixes my high pressure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I wrote a post a week ago and it hasn't been approved yet. I don't when this one will go through. But, It may be that this post is approved before the other one.

I found out the engine stuttering problem after it warms up. :detective: A few weeks ago I pulled the distributor cap and cleaned contacts. After that I decided to get a new cap and rotor as part of all the normal maintenance that should have been completed several miles earlier. I have a timing set with valve cover gaskets and water pump on the way. Anyway, I went to pull the rotor and the outer part snapped off leaving the back half on the engine. I spent several minutes with a pair of pliers and got it all apart. there was quite a bit of corrosion.

rotor.jpg

I cleaned the shaft with sandpaper and applied dielectric grease put the new rotor and cap on. it runs like a dream; hot and cold. Fuel pressure is still up there, but it seems to be running okay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm Back!!!

I'v been doing allot of overtime lately. But, I managed to get a few things done. back and sides are welded on.

IMG_20171201_112255.jpg

IMG_20171201_112311.jpg

IMG_20180124_115501.jpg

IMG_20180124_122749.jpg

IMG_20180124_144322.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Also got the rim welded on for the back window. Now I'm waiting on warmer weather to glue in the window.
IMG_20180221_013022.jpg

I was making new handles for the wood stove in my living room and had some left over aluminum. So, I made a new shift handle. :cool2:
IMG_20171201_162517.jpg

New exhaust, Ebay header, Walker CAT, Thrush Turbo Muffler, and mandrel bent 2.25" pipe from mandrelexhaustsystems(dot)com. The resonator I believe is a magnaflow. I bought it as part of the exhaust pipe.
IMG_20180224_033530.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So it's on the road, that's awesome!

Did you drop the tank to do the pump or did you have an access hole for it?
I dropped it. I thought about cutting an access hole, but decided against it.

Got some more word done.

Rear Window is glued in. Its ugly as sin, after the adhesive has fully set i will trim it down with a razor blade knife.

IMG_20180301_021344.jpg

IMG_20180301_021404.jpg

I was given some money. so I decided to give an amazon CAI a try.

IMG_20180301_024828.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Nice project.

A member of our Prelude forum built a nice 4th gen pickup a while back.
Nice, that's allot nicer than mine is gonna look. that's cool. I bought an '83 prelude with the v6. I am still deciding if i want to keep it or try to fine someone to give it the attention it deserves.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
4,831 Posts
It doesn't look too bad for what it is meant for, it's functional so it gets a pass from me.

MPFI swap that thing to get a little more juice out of it, it will really wake that car up, even more so if you did an A6 cam swap. Just keep an eye out for parts, I may have an intake and injectors lying around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It doesn't look too bad for what it is meant for, it's functional so it gets a pass from me.

MPFI swap that thing to get a little more juice out of it, it will really wake that car up, even more so if you did an A6 cam swap. Just keep an eye out for parts, I may have an intake and injectors lying around.

I love my civic. Every ugly piece, but the former body guy in me appreciates a good looking body.

Soon as I fix my driver's door lock I'm gonna put my head unit and rear speakers I'm.

How much would you want for the intake and injectors?

I see an engine swap in my future. Nothing major. Still sohc d-series. I've seen some engines online. Some of the low mileage imported ones.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts