Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to fix my buddies trans for him, first time in this deep. He says it feels "scratchy" when shifting gears. I have measured reverse fork/shift pin, reverse fork/idler gear, shift fork/syncro sleeves, 3rd/4th shift fork/shift arm b. All measurements are within spec besides the reverse shift fork/shift pin. My question is about the syncros, is this the reason the shifting is not ideal?

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inside look great. I can snap some photos if needed. But from what I can tell the majority of the wear is on the outside.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
the inside part of the synchro is the "business end"

the ridges should be razor sharp.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, I will look closer into this. I will post pictures once I have ambition to go out into the cold. Sometime today...

*edit* Using Penzoil Syncromesh I think... he bought car summer 2010

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Posted earlier, you probably didn't see it:
*edit* Using Penzoil Syncromesh I think... he bought car summer 2010

Update: Buddy just pulled the trigger on a used trans ($50). Looks good, bearings sound OK.

Just out of curiosity I am going to build this trans for a spare when I rebuild my si B000 with LSD. Until then its christmas time and I'm gonna get drunk!:bubbrubb:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
the inside part of the synchro is the "business end"

the ridges should be razor sharp.
No, its just part of it. No one part is separate from "business". Both the clutch teeth and the knife edge are there for a purpose and either one can make the brass ring ineffective in doing its part of the job for synchronization.

The inside edge doesnt have to be razor sharp would eliminate all but new brass as being bad, it just needs to be "knife like". The only job of that edge is to cut oil away and semi-grind into the conical surface of the gear its speeding up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts