Honda D Series Forum banner

91 accord not starting...stumped

1K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  99EJ6T 
#1 ·
hey guys im new here. ive searched around and other forums as well and just cant see to find the issue.
my car was turning off and back on instantly while driing. now its just wont start.
so far i have replaced the main relay....checked the ICM, thats good. col is good, the harness that the relay hooks into is good. got the right volts on all the tests. within the last 2 months..new cap rotor wires plugs fuel pump fuel filter.
yesterday when i had it running in my driveway just idling and it died and the relay was just clicking like crazy. and i could hear a clicking over near the battery, i was holding the electrical part and could feel the clicking from there also. here is a pic of the box thing. i have no idea what it is and cant seem to find it online. Is it possibly a ground somehwere. is there anywhere to get a list of grounds and where they are?
thank you for the help. ive tried searching and searching and im just not finding what works. any additional help is greatly appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
I ended up having the same problem in my 90 civic it turned out that my idnition switch had bad conections on the inside where the key lock cylinder turns the switch i sanded them down made sure everything was clean and it worked. Then i ha problems with my car dying and the power cutting out it was just because it was loose vibrating loosing contact with the switch. Hope this helps

#6 ·
Well theres a few ways...

You can verify you have fuel in the rail by cracking loose a fitting or maybe routing the return hose into a bottle to test. Hondas are kinda lame like this they dont have a schrader valve to test on for fuel pressure in the rail.

Also you can crack loose the feed line to the rail just a little and see if you get some spray out of there. It should be strong.

Then you can install a Noid light into the injector clips to verify they are getting a pulse from the ECU.

Alternatively you can pull the spark plugs and turn it over. You should see fuel shooting out of each cylinder as it turns over.

Fuel smell should be coming from the exhaust if you are tuning it over and its not starting but is getting fuel.

#18 ·
just went back out there...the only click i get on the relay is when i got from ll to lll and on the main relay harness i used a test light but the only spot it lit up was the bottom left of the harness then i unclipped the fuel pump connector and didnt get a light.

#23 ·
it dying completely is a good thing. now you have a hard fault, find it.

it sounds like your diagnostic skill are lacking. Your throwing out random possibilities, then I don't trust your testing methods. Doesn't sound like you have any clue how to diagnose this problem.

Do your research.

#24 · (Edited)
^^ :lol: :TU:

There is not a lot of info in here but what IS in here is not any good for internet diag assistance. You have a test light, but dont know where it should be placed. I assume, with this info, you not even sure how to force the system to work for relay controlled items. At this point, tow it to a pro. If not, your going to be throwing parts at it for a LONG time. The pre-97 accords are notorious for being diag monsters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.