Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car is a 90 crx si, 250,000 miles,

what would cause the sunroof panel to be shift back more on one side, where its crooked on the tracks as it is closing ?

it should be straight and even across each side so it is lined up to the sunroof hole opening, but on mine the driver side of the sunroof panel is back further and does'nt keep up with the passenger side as it is moving closed ?, as if the pass. side is normal and lined up , but the driver side is slower and back farther and not able to catch up with the other side ? and i have to push and guide it with my hand as i press the button or use the allen wrench.

the other thing is when pressing the button to open or close the sunroof, it does'nt always do much, sometimes it does move the sunroof but if it does it does it really really slowly, but other times it does'nt do anything and you have to use the allen wrench manually, sound like a motor thing ? or a switch thing ?

any help or direction on what to check would be appreciative, thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did do that not too long ago, but i did it while the sunroof panel was in place still, but i moved it back and forth and did behind and in front of it and as many places i could reach, and the other moving parts around too,

then i lubed it with tons of silicone spray lubricant which i was told is good to use, since its waterproof, it said i could either use white lithium grease or silicone lube, and i happened to already have some silicone lube so i used that,

but one thing i am not totally sure about, is if they meant "spray silicone lube" ? or "silicone grease lube" ? cause the grease type would be a thicker consistency and totally different than the thin liquid spray, so can anyone confirm which is the right kind if used for lubricating sunroof parts ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to me it seems like somethings loose or broken cause the driver side of the sunroof panel is'nt staying in place like it should so its straight and even while it moves along the tracks and i can push that side forward or backward, and the other side does'nt move that easily like that ?

seems like something supposed to be holding that side down in the track more or secure it in place so it moves and stays on track and straight and maybe some part like that could be loose or broken or missing ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies, i have read through that sunroof overhaul link before, and its a real good write up with tons of details, and i want to eventually do all that stuff sometime in the future to mine.

since i last posted tthis, i took my sunroof switch out and took it apart and cleaned the contacts and everything, going by a write-up how-to i found online, and after putting the switch back in the car, i was surprised that i did notice the sunroof moved back faster than before, but still crooked on the tracks, but before i cleaned the switch, it was barely moving at all, and seemed like any minute it was just going to stop and be stuck where it was, but i was still able to get it open all the way, by guiding the side with my hand as i pressed the button and just waiting longer for it to move, but now i can open it all the way a lot easier, still having to guide one side with my hand so the panel stays straight on the tracks as it moves, but at least i can open the sunroof if i wanted to have it open.

i am pretty sure i know the cause of why the sunroof panel is crooked and not straight from corner to corner, i just did'nt think of it before, but one of the front mounting bolts that holds the panel down to the track goes round and round when you try tightening it, so that means the bolt is stripped or the part thats underneath that the bolt tightens into is stripped in the hole?, and its not able to hold the panel down on that side, so it stays in place as the sunroof is moving back, causing that side to slip and be farther back than the other front corner, and thats why i have to guide it with my hand when i do open it, cause i'm almost holding that side in place, which is what that bolt should be doing if it was'nt stripped.

so i can get a new part that the bolt screws into, or try a new bolt, or try putting a slightly oversized bolt that will stay in place enough for it to work, but i think thats all the problem is as far as the crooked panel thing goes, and glad its nothing bigger or more complex.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the other problem was the back end stayed in the tilted up position, but after putting in the cleaned switch, it was able to close so the rear passenger corner went down flat, which it did'nt before?, but the rear driver corner still stays in the tilted up position?

i'm missing the screw-pin and clip that goes through the lift-up link hinge on the driver back corner side, so i have a feeling thats the reason why it won't go down, but i think that part is discontinued and i can't order it?, so i need to figure out how to remove the screw-pin and clip on the other side so i can bring it into a hardware store and try to find a screw thats the same size and matches it, and use that to put in.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I had a similar issue in my '95 EX coupe. I just lived with it by helping the one problematic side along until it shut. Tracks had fresh grease every other month.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
just curious, what type of grease or lube do you use personally for your sunroof ?

i read info all over the internet while back about which lube / grease to use, and decided to use silicone spray lubricant, people said white lithium grease is thick and attracts more dirt to stick to it, and said silicone lubricant is waterproof and thin enough that it does'nt make a mess and attract dirt to accumulate on it.

a while back i remember seeing some type of thicker type of grease type stuff all over the sunroof tracks after getting my car back from some honda shop, it seemed like it was either a white creamy/ thickish consistency? or some color such as a greenish/ gray or something ? and not sure what it was the honda place put on it, but it was a thick type of lube or grease, and not anything like how thin silicone spray lubricant is ? and i just wonder if i should be using something different thats thicker ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts