Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Integra
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I bought a 1990 civic for burning around SE asia with my old lady. The car overheats after about 10 minutes of highway and runs hot until its shut down over night. It's a long story that all started..

Long Version

I bought a 1990 Civic LX from a dealer in Bangkok. I overpaid (3k USD) but I just love it and the body was mint. It came with a swapped D15b, my fav d series engine and everything looked clean. It did have LPG hooked up, that I disconnected but I think it ran on LPG forever.... Car only has 130k kms, could be rolled back. Not sure how long the motor has been in.

So I did my first long drive to Laos and the car was running hot. When I slowed down in traffic it would get a massive surge in heat, one time off the scale. We almost made it to our destination, but had to stop and find a mechanic. They changed water pump, radiator, headgasket, thermostat, temp sensor, checked the block/head wasn't warped and changed filters. Car ran good when I picked it up, drove for 10 minutes and boom, running hot. Running like 2/3 on the gauge all the time. It will cool down if I'm in gear and coasting down, but if I'm in neutral or accelerating it runs HOT.

I haven't been driving the car much, I would just like some advice on what I should check for. I will just take it to the mechanic and tell them what to change, although I wish I could do it myself.

TL;DR

Car idles and runs fine, when it warms up it holds at about 1/3 up the gauge. When I get up to anything over 60 km/hour it starts to run hotter, at 160 (the max reasonable crusing speed) it runs at almost full hot.

What does it "sound" like. I've already done water pump, radiator, head gasket, fuel filter, air filter, checked the block when the head was off and is OK.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sounds like some lines may not be hooked up properly. Also, it could have some major clogs somewhere, possibly between the block and head.

Also, make sure the fan is coming on.

EDIT: Another thing, make sure the correct thermostat is installed. I went through that the first time I changed my thermostat out. For the b2, there's a 180° and a 196°. It's entirely possible the hotter one is installed, and the fan's not working.

·
Registered
1988 Integra
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, is the fan supposed to come on when the AC is on? I HAVE to run the car with AC, sometimes even at night o_O. When I press the AC it turns on both fans...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes. They'll come on more with the headlights on, and any other electrical accessories as well.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Ummmmm....did you say this was set up to run LPG(Liquid Propane Gas)

Did you change anything after you stopped using it? (ie the tune)

·
Registered
1988 Integra
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havn't changed the tune but I thought it would be unaffected because the LPG had it's own ECU. I want to change the tune to run without o2 and I'm going to richen it up and take some timing out of the part throttle. I would like to figure out why it's overheating before I do this, because that would just be a bandaid. It could be the tuning because I'm running on this high ethanol fuel here, maybe it needs to be tuned for modern fuels in asia haha.

I'm dubious if the computer is tuned or not, but it looks like it's un molested. I have to wait to get my chip burner out here and I will chip it and mess with the tune.

Back on subject, there isn't anything directly blocking the rad but its a full rad and the AC is near it, also has PS and theres tons of shit in there. I dont get it though, our turbo civic in Kelowna runs a half rad and never started to over heat on boost. Arg.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ummmmm....did you say this was set up to run LPG(Liquid Propane Gas)

Did you change anything after you stopped using it? (ie the tune)
Yeah, this probably is it. Didn't even think of that, or pay attention to that part of your post. If it's not tuned to run on gas, instead of lpg, then that's going to be a big problem. If you don't get it tuned soon, you'll probably blow the motor. You still may anyways....

·
Registered
1988 Integra
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, this probably is it. Didn't even think of that, or pay attention to that part of your post. If it's not tuned to run on gas, instead of lpg, then that's going to be a big problem. If you don't get it tuned soon, you'll probably blow the motor. You still may anyways....
\

The propane system ran it's OWN ecu piggybacked on the wiring harness. Everything has been removed.

I'm starting to think that it is the E20...

Here a pic of the car, like it??? RHD 90 civic LX:

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Key word is piggy back.

Easy fix= run the lpg like it was set up to do.

Otherwise you need to remove all components,ei. injectors, piggyback system, lines running to your intake(and capped off)....that's just off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1988 Integra
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I have removed all this stuff. BTW LPG does not have standard injectors. The rubber lines comming off the electrically controlled regulator have been removed. So maybe I wasn't clear but the car is no longer running LPG. I thought maybe running lpg in the past had fould injectors or something. Also I like how you say easy fix run the lpg how it was set up to do, the lpg is an after thought and is not stock. Honda never sold a 90 civic to run on lpg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts