Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i think i can get a decent deal on some SRP pistons for a d16a6. they are rated at 8.5:1 compression. after doing some calculations on the compression calculator, i found that these would yeild a 9.6:1 compression in my z6 build. would this compression be ok for say 300whp on pump gas and 400 on a race tune. of course it will be fully tuned by trackmasters in Huntsville Alabama with crome pro. or should i find a thicker head gasket solution. or not even use these pistons at all?

discuss, now!

Reactions: TunerToys

·
Registered
258 Posts
I personally think you would be fine on 9.6:1 pistons, provided that your shop knows how to properly tune a higher compression engine on boost. Doing the setup this way (with higher CR) will increase your power at the low end, when you are not in boost, making the car faster overall.

If you are concerned about the abilities of your shop to tune a higher CR forced induction engine, you might spend some of that saved piston money on a J&S Safegaurd.

Craig

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
links and info on the safeguard. i have heard of it, but i dont know much about it. i also plan to run methonal injection.

"ill race you after i refill my washer fluid, lol!"

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think some people have ran up to 10:1 static compression before. The only problem I see is keeping at least a 91 octane level and a very good tune to really prevent detonation. And shit, if all else fails buy them SRP's and sell them to me. :wink:

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Bah, I have 10:1 comp and 15psi... It's fine, and great down low...
Pistons are almost flat tops...

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys. im getting the pistons today. and i think i am getting my z6 swap today also. anyone want a freshly honed and painted d15b? lol

·
Random Hero
Range Rover
2,624 Posts
I don't think 9.6 is all that high. Reasons people run 8.5 is: safer/easier to tune and if you want to run a large amount of boost.

You'll just have to compensate in the timing map, no reason to worry about preventing detonation, after it's been tuned.

with a forged setup, and that compression, you should be able to make a really aggressive tune, especially with water/meth injection.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
well its only .4 points higher than stock, so with a good tune it should be fine.

people boost stock GSR and B6 motors and they have higher compression than that

·
Registered
173 Posts
Some good info here. :bravo:

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cool. thanks guys. where is some good info on the J&S safeguard? or is it even necessary.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm doing the same as you, except i'm using a y7 (same combustion chamber)

I bought the 8.5:1 -6.8cc srps ironically from craig at tuner toys a couple weeks ago :p

·
Registered
98 Lx sedan
301 Posts
Aurther shouldn't have any problem tuning it. When I get my 10.5 Z6 put together and the Jackson back on it he'll be tuning it again.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya arthur is pretty good from what i heard. where are you located?

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 32 Posts