·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Thanks man! Paint cost a bundle. I have left over. Want any blue accents on yours lol? Might use some of it on an old F100 truck project I have coming down the pipe.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Thanks! It has been a work in progress for a long time, and will remain that way as I continue working on it.

I think the next project will be pulling the headliner down and covering it, and then reinforcing the internal roof supports, as they aren't very supportive any more. Anyone else with an EF or Wagon specifically that has a roof that makes lots of noises? Working on ideas to fix that. Right now I'm pondering on spray in foam to spray between the internal structural bows and the roof itself. Thoughts or ideas?
If the body sealant that's used to stick the outer skin to the supports separates, it'll start 'tin canning'. Just use a hard setting body sealer and squirt it between the supports and the skin, it'll set and it should be sweet.

Took forever lol, and I don't have the side skirts back on yet, but here we go. View attachment 138886 View attachment 138887 View attachment 138888

She's still a 20 footer, but now she's a shiny 20 footer. I have a few adjustments to make, but all in all, I'm happy with it. Now thinking about tinting the windows. Thoughts? To tint or not to tint?
Paint looks great mate! I think it looks great without tint. I'm thinking about the same with my wagon atm, but the sun is so intense here that i need to get them tinted or my interior will turn to dust.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
I'm thinking about the same with my wagon atm, but the sun is so intense here that i need to get them tinted or my interior will turn to dust.
I understand what you mean by this. When I lived in Hawaii, my old wagons interior started getting really dry. Especially the tops of the back seats. Almost like they were turning to dust because of the intensity of the sun there. So crazy how climate and even the intensity of the sun is so different in different locations.

And for body sealant, do you mean something like this or?: Amazon.com: 3M All-Around Autobody Sealant, 08500, 1/10 gal Cartridge: Automotive

I was thinking of using something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dow-Restartable-Straw-Gaps-and-Cracks-12-oz-Spray-Foam-Insulation/3012216

I have some other uses for the spray in foam and thought I might get away with some of it to take up the gaps in the roof support area. Also, wanted to get it in the B and C pillar areas to stiffen it up, but more to deaden some sound in the car. Wagons are notoriously loud echo holes.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Yep that'll do it

I was thinking of using something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dow-Restartable-Straw-Gaps-and-Cracks-12-oz-Spray-Foam-Insulation/3012216

I have some other uses for the spray in foam and thought I might get away with some of it to take up the gaps in the roof support area. Also, wanted to get it in the B and C pillar areas to stiffen it up, but more to deaden some sound in the car. Wagons are notoriously loud echo holes.
I wouldn't use that stuff, it'll be messy AF. And if you ever need to access the panel for rust/collision repair it'll just be a nightmare. Or if you have any water ingress at the moment, that foam will make it pool instead of drain and you'll get rust forming. I remember they used to use it in the roof pillars on old (mid 90's) Galants with the sashless doors as a stiffener, but the benefits were pretty small (ive got an old tech doc if you're interested, i could check the difference it made if you're interested). You'll also need careful prep on the panel so it bonds correctly (the strength is in the bond).

I'd go sound matting to kill the sound over that stuff. Make sure you've got all the factory foam and protective films (do your doors still have the plastic film behind the trims? Still got the thick firewall rubber backed insulation panel?) Running carpet mats? Remove and wash your door seals in soapy water, dirt buildup prevents good contact between glass/rubber and creates wind noise. I've done acoustic testing and insulation specs for architectural products and if the insulation isn't in the right spot, it'll do nothing. Best way to know its in the right spot without the equipment to measure would be to make sure all the bits from factory are still there, because they'll have done lots of testing.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Please tell me that's gonna be your headliner... so awesome!
That's the plan. This is my headliner and its curing in the shop tonight. Hope to install tomorrow. Wagovan headliners are huge and paper thin!

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Wow! What a day. I also coach girls basketball (in my spare time lol). So we did an annual car wash that helps fund uniforms and shoes for the players (its a High School Varsity team). So I did that from 8-3:30, took a couple hours to eat and sit down then decided to go ahead and put the wagon back together the rest of the way.

The roof bows were so bent that I decided to use Spray in foam (Great Stuff- $3 per can at Lowes) to take up the slack between the bows and the roof itself. A little messy, but worked like a champ. The gaps I had to tighten up:

SO I used this:

This comes in handy to clean up both the headliner and the spray foam (at least within the first 15 minutes. Acetone will desolve spray foam before it sets up completely.

And after I took up the slack:

I did trim this after it set up. Now on to the best part..............

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
So I had the idea a while back after watching some videos that I would do the headliner in my wagon with some fabric. I really want to do the LED stars, but money is running thin after painting the car, so for now, it'll just have to be the headliner.

So you see in the above pictures that I pulled the headliner out. Well, here's why (besides the bows being so bent down and the car's roof literally flexing like a tin can. She was war torn and dirty:

These things are so much longer in the wagon, than in a hatchback or CRX. I constantly fought it cracking and breaking in the middle, but alas, it made it back into the car in one piece. Pulled it out and put it on the saw horses and cleaned it with acetone to make sure the surface was clean enough for the glue to stick.

Got my mom to help me drape over the fabric. BTW my moms 72 this year, but worked most of her life as a seamstress, sewing genius, and connoisseur of fabrics, so she was very glad to help.

This is an $8 "tapestry" that was purchased from Amazon. I measured the headliner, found one with the print I wanted and the right size and presto, 8 bucks.

After a lot of pontification, I decided to use 3M headliner adhesive. Almost went with Weldwood Contact Cement, but found the 3M headliner stuff and Oreilly so went for it.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
You apply the glue to both the fabric and to the headliner. I did it in 3 sections.

Cut in those slots to relieve some stress on the material in the corners. Trimmed the side edges, and then cut out the openings for the lights, pull bars, sunvisors, and rear view mirror screws.

One thing of note. I was going to use Bondo Squeegee's /Spreaders to press down the material. DO NOT USE THESE:

They will actually press wrinkles into the headliner as you're sticking own the new material. Instead, just put on gloves like I have in this picture and do it by hand. It worked so much better. My mom also had to learn that spray adhesive likes to stick to everything, especially itself. Had to unstick the headliner from itself on that first lay over. All worked out though.

Everything ready for it to go in. Hood open, well just because lol

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
And here it is:

Literally the hardest part of install was getting the sunvisor holes to match up when I installed them. (did them last, and after this pic).

Whatcha think?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
And here it is:

View attachment 138940

View attachment 138941

Literally the hardest part of install was getting the sunvisor holes to match up when I installed them. (did them last, and after this pic).

Whatcha think?
Fucking amazing :)

Dude, your idea to have LEDs for stars would be a kick ass dome light idea! A few scattered throughout the headliner, and there would be enough ambient light to give the interior a nice full coverage glow!

Then have a dimmer to dim them, so you can run them on very low while driving at night if you wanted :)

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
And this literally got the over 18 NSFW content warning lol!!! They are so gun shy with you lol!!!

Thanks all! I think I will still do the starlight deal. Just have to get the kind that twinkle and have a sound setting. Wondering how many lights will be enough. I don't want it covered. Literally just want to do the stars that are on the material. Plus, who wants to poke 300 holes in their headliner?!?!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts
I woud put the leds behind the cloth on the brightest stars. not poking through, sorta back lit and pin point style. then the rest I would put low volt strip lighting in for the ambiance.
then make a module to make the low volt stuff flicker and "move" over time like a real night sky. hell, the northern light effect would be amazing lol.
maybe get 1 red strip and run it diagonally and have yourself a plane in flight, or a shooting star, or satellite lol

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Thought about using a kit like this. Lots of videos of people on YouTube that used similar kits and then just plug it in the cigarette lighter. Money was the hindrance right now, not that its overly expensive, but my paint and clear were, lol.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts