Honda D Series Forum banner
121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic Ex
25 Posts
Thanks! Another Canuck?!? It has been a long road, from a Swiss cheesed, $600 car to a 300 whp street sleeper. Now hopefully it will go straight lol.

Just passing through, or are you building a car as well?
Well, I bought mine for $500 and it's not a 300whp sleeper but maybe some day it will be! I am building an EJ8, I bought it 3 years ago and tried to keep it as just a stock daily but.. well that didn't happen so hopefully I will acquire an actual beater and I'll be able to go down the same route as you.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Well, I bought mine for $500 and it's not a 300whp sleeper but maybe some day it will be! I am building an EJ8, I bought it 3 years ago and tried to keep it as just a stock daily but.. well that didn't happen so hopefully I will acquire an actual beater and I'll be able to go down the same route as you.
Fantastic! Just take your time, plan it out, and build it in pieces. I did each major system, one at a time. Suspension was one big bite. Engine and trans was a big bite. Body work (the first time) was a big bite, and now stiffening the chassis and preparing for a repaint is the next big bite.

Plus if it's a body style that you really like, it makes it easier to work harder on it to get it where you want it to be. Do you have a vision of what you want it to be?

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Got it back together today and started sanding the body. It needed a wash after the first round of sanding, so I decided that slamming the turn signals back in was a good idea, so I could take it up the road to "dry it off". Very surprised right off the bat. It feels so much smoother now. Not like a crap box. Even on a very rough tar and gravel road it was smooth. Took it through the local twisties and let off around 90-95 because I didn't even realize I was hitting it that hard. Wow what a difference it makes when the front end doesn't walk around while you're in power. Still needs an alignment, and the one time I got to full boost it felt good. That was well over 100mph quick fast and in a hurry. Either way, much much improved. It feels now like a car that can handle more power, versus before I felt like the power level I was at was the peak of what the car could handle. I'll upload pictures later tonight. Went ahead and painted Underhood, readjusted the fenders, headlights, and the bumper. Front end looks better now and it looks a lot cleaner under the hood.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·

Pulled the headlights, sanded down the radiator support and front frame horns/bumper mounts. Shot them with some black paint.

Reinstalled the front bumper, headlights, turn signals, and the corner lights before I took it out for a ride. Also adjusted the fenders and hood a bit. Trying to get those body lines right. Then taped it off and shot the engine bay black. It was dirty, dusty, grimy stock light blue before I cleaned it up and shot it black. Looks a lot cleaner now. Happy with the way it drives. So smooth. That's the word. Smooth.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts
how well does that air to water intercooler work for ya?

Reactions: Soul Engineering

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
how well does that air to water intercooler work for ya?
Works extremely well on the street. Heat exchanger is large enough to make a huge difference. Generally brings IAT back down to normalized in just a few minutes if I'm moving. It really does make a difference. Usually keeps IAT in the sub 110's on a hot day while I'm messing around. High, sustained boost it might get upwards of 120, but just a few minutes (2-3) its right back down around 100. It took a few tries to get it to work right. First heat exchanger was too small and I mounted it off to the side. This one has worked much better. I used a pump from a Mustang Cobra (03-04 Terminator) that did exactly this except for that car is supercharged, but runs an intercooler and heat exchanger. It puts out the proper pressure and I keep a small reservoir in the engine bay. I'm running a 75/25 mix of blue windshield washer fluid and water currently. That has worked well and doesn't bubble/froth as badly as some mixes do. All in all, I prefer this setup to an air to air. It was more difficult to plumb, and I had to work some magic on an EF to get it all to fit, but I love the set up.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Is that a standard issue plate? That's sick haha.
Yup standard plate for Hawaii. Have to run one front and rear there. Odd thing though (for America), the plates stay with the car for the life of it. So my old Wago in Hawaii still has the same plates that I put on it when I was there (because I brought it with me from the mainland). This tag is a set that I purchased on Ebay. My old Toyota 4x4 wears the other tag up front.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Lots of pictures will be forthcoming. Bought paint today. I'm not going to shoot it. My cousin has been in body work for 45 years, so I'm going to let him do it. Going back with a similar 8P1 Speedway Blue, just in base/clear this time. It was fairly expensive though to get PPG paint. $520 for base and clear. My wife nearly had a heart attack. I always shoot single stage paint because I don't have a good booth to use, but I don't trust myself with a blue pearl metallic. Just hoping it turns out looking as good as I know it can.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Lots of pictures will be forthcoming. Bought paint today. I'm not going to shoot it. My cousin has been in body work for 45 years, so I'm going to let him do it. Going back with a similar 8P1 Speedway Blue, just in base/clear this time. It was fairly expensive though to get PPG paint. $520 for base and clear. My wife nearly had a heart attack. I always shoot single stage paint because I don't have a good booth to use, but I don't trust myself with a blue pearl metallic. Just hoping it turns out looking as good as I know it can.

View attachment 138746

View attachment 138748
The paint looks like space in that can :) beautiful.

I swear, if you paint yours before i do, im going to kick my own ass...

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
The paint looks like space in that can :) beautiful.

I swear, if you paint yours before i do, im going to kick my own ass...
As I was scrolling to see your reply it was the first time I looked at the paint in those larger pics. It really does look like space in a can lol. Hope it looks amazing on the car. Literally just busted my change drawer and counted it all out to ease things off for the bank account.

Hits the booth Monday lol :)

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
As I was scrolling to see your reply it was the first time I looked at the paint in those larger pics. It really does look like space in a can lol. Hope it looks amazing on the car. Literally just busted my change drawer and counted it all out to ease things off for the bank account.

Hits the booth Monday lol :)
Nooooo! I probably wont make it.....

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Off to the paint booth she goes. Saw a couple of spots before I drove it over, but at this point its too late in the game lol. Very small stuff that might even cover lol. We shall see. Shop said he would hit with a little epoxy primer to give the paint something to stick to, so we'll see.

Passenger side had blisters on it. Thats why it took more sanding on that side. Plus I had a few dings to fix on that side. Most of the lighter spots you see were either nicks in the paint, blisters, or spots where the paint actually peeled off. Really sucked. It looked good for about a year and a half and then it started peeling. Especially around the edges. Paint just didn't seal, but it was cheap (fish) single stage paint. She'll get PPG base clear this time, so we will see in a few days how it turns out. Can't wait.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
It looks so exotic for me in Poland :D Nice build, and this environment... I'm starting to like this forum very much and I'm so angry bout that I've found out about it so late.
Thanks! It has been a work in progress for a long time, and will remain that way as I continue working on it.

I think the next project will be pulling the headliner down and covering it, and then reinforcing the internal roof supports, as they aren't very supportive any more. Anyone else with an EF or Wagon specifically that has a roof that makes lots of noises? Working on ideas to fix that. Right now I'm pondering on spray in foam to spray between the internal structural bows and the roof itself. Thoughts or ideas?

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Took forever lol, and I don't have the side skirts back on yet, but here we go.

She's still a 20 footer, but now she's a shiny 20 footer. I have a few adjustments to make, but all in all, I'm happy with it. Now thinking about tinting the windows. Thoughts? To tint or not to tint?

121 - 140 of 163 Posts