Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Formerly weebeastie
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
more pics

Engine finally assembled:

Decided on an Action Clutch setup from WD-R aka Whoopee Doo Racing. Thanks Chris/Aquafina

And here it is installed in the car:

·
Formerly weebeastie
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Radiator setup

I'll find pictures of this, but hopefully you can see in the pics that I did a "radiator tuck" using a Scrirocco radiator. Literally one of the best things I've done with the car. No ghetto lean and it fits under the stock radiator support/hood latch area. Works great too!

·
Formerly weebeastie
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Suspension upgrade

So, for some odd reason, I forgot to post this video of the suspension upgrades that I've done. The video's are pre-turbo setup. They are with the N/A DOHC ZC.

https://youtu.be/y4qYVM_S3to

Suspension upgrades:

Hardrace front lower control arms
Hardrace rear lower control arms
Innovative Traction bar
Innovative Motor Mounts (all 4 80a)
Hardrace rear trailing arm bushings (one of the best mods)
Adjustable caster and camber links in the rear
Hardrace inner and outer tie rod ends on a manual wagon steering rack
Only a rear strut brace. Front won't fit any more, looking for a Neuspeed bar to go up front.

Also, Hawk racing brake pads

·
Formerly weebeastie
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
bump cuz I want more...
LOL! Funny, because more is about to happen. So after many street tuning sessions and a few of maxing out 4th gear............yeah, long straight road about 130-140ish, and the car getting squirrelly, more things must be done. At 15-18psi and spooling at 2200 rpms the car is stupid quick, hooks great, but it's having issues staying straight. Mainly the right rear shock blew, and that's causing a weight transfer issue. It doesn't dart around, just like a slow drift that steering doesn't easily correct. So to fix this I have a set of Fortune Auto 500's ordered that should be here in 2-3 weeks, Hardrace upper control arms, new Moog problem solver front lower ball joints, new Koyo wheel bearings (sourced from Parts geek for $46 per bearing!), new lug studs, new rear brakes, etc. will be going on as soon as the coilovers arrive.

Until it all gets here, a little eye candy:

Attachments

·
Registered
Waitress wanted
939 Posts
thank you

do you like the gearing you chose ?

was looking at zeal and my 3rd gear tops out at almost the same mph as your 4th ..
must be spin crazy..:)

·
Formerly weebeastie
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lol, actually it hooks pretty well. The gearing is great, it definitely is a back half of the track car in the straight line, but it makes enough torque to destroy a new 5.0 off the line and through 4th gear. Literally 15 car lengths ahead and I short shifted lol. The tires I put on it make a huge difference. Continental Extreme Contact Plus tires. Third gear is like a freight train. Sometimes they break loose, but if I down shift and hammer it, then yes it is spin crazy lol. I need to do a write up on the tires as well.

·
Formerly weebeastie
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Any idea how you blew a shock?
Yeah. Running the wrong ones on the wagon (these are off an EK I think) and they were not a good brand to start with. They were free so I went with them. Once the Fortune Auto's are on though, problem solved. Weight transfer being off on the one rear wheel is what I believe is allowing the car to move around on its own. It isn't severe but you wouldn't want to go down a track with it trying to "dog walk".

·
Formerly weebeastie
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
thank you

do you like the gearing you chose ?

was looking at zeal and my 3rd gear tops out at almost the same mph as your 4th ..
must be spin crazy..:)
Also meant to ask, what gearing are you running and at what power level?

·
Registered
Waitress wanted
939 Posts
Also meant to ask, what gearing are you running and at what power level?
using an old b7 tranny ..
power level? not sure ,no dyno no drags ,td04hl19t 20psi on a sinktrap whatever that gives you .
with just gas pedal in 3rd tires are on the verge of spinning.

makes me smile, makes my neighboors shake fists..

·
Formerly weebeastie
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That wierd drifting issue your feeling also sounds like a symptom of worn out RTA bushes. I'd replace those if you haven't already.
They are brand new Hard Race units. I am replacing the right rear trailing arm as well though. It doesn't look very great, so I'm going to replace it with a spare. One of the lips above the bushing is pulled out a bit. So I'm going to replace that for sure. But I definitely agree, Ive had a wishy washy car that needed RTA bushings in past. Not as severe as that, just like its leaning in the rear.

·
Formerly weebeastie
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Got more done today. Decided to go ahead and rebuild the spare set of Wagon spindles that I had and to also clean up the forks and the right rear trailing arm before the Fortune Auto coil overs get in. So here it is:

My right rear trailing arm has some minor issues, so I'm just going to replace the whole thing and put new brakes on the back of the car. Got an amazing deal for Raybestos Wagon rear brakes for like $6 and Raybestos rear wheel cylinders for $4 a piece off of Rockauto. I got lucky and sourced Koyo wheel bearings off of Partsgeek for about $47 a piece. Ended up going with Moog Problem Solver lower ball joints, and of course the Hardrace upper control arms.

I had bought a new tool a while back for pressing in wheel bearings when not near a press, so I decided to give it a whirl. Honestly, it worked faster than a press for me. I cleaned everything up and put just a small amount of grease in the hub and they were in and out in just a few minutes. Literally in less that 30 minutes I had both torn down and changed out for new ones. Took longer to clean than press bearings.

Attachments

·
Formerly weebeastie
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Also pounded in the new ball joints. That was more difficult to do than the bearings with this gadgetry. After the ball joints were in and the new bearings were in, I decided to move on to coating the sprindles, forks and rear trailing arm.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 61 Posts