Honda D Series Forum banner
201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,816 Posts
Aero's is similar, except its a 4 port with 3 on top and one on bottom for drain back to the block.

2 top ports vent the valve cover into the can, and one is recirc back to turbo inlet.

On a side note, i havent seen a Mac desktop in over a decade lol

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Aero's is similar, except its a 4 port with 3 on top and one on bottom for drain back to the block.

2 top ports vent the valve cover into the can, and one is recirc back to turbo inlet.

On a side note, i havent seen a Mac desktop in over a decade lol
What are your thoughts on the recirc to the turbo?

Just the thought of a chance of liquid getting sucked in there scares me a little. Oil sucked through my turbo and then intercooler.......idk. I've seen several set ups like this. I will likely not have mine drain back into the oil pan though.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,816 Posts
What are your thoughts on the recirc to the turbo?

Just the thought of a chance of liquid getting sucked in there scares me a little. Oil sucked through my turbo and then intercooler.......idk. I've seen several set ups like this. I will likely not have mine drain back into the oil pan though.
If you arent able to drain back, i'd probably also steer clear of engine recirc for fear of sucking in a ton of oil on the off chance you forget to "check the can that one time"...

Not going engine recirc also keeps intercooler and compressor housing cleaner :)

In all "normal" vehicle cases, I always maintain recirc if possible and PCV, but on a high song turbo car, there are reasons not to.

A good mix of the two to avoid recirc back through the engine would be to have a draft tube welded into your exhaust at a tight acute angle under the car, and vent in there, so any oil vapors that still make it out have a chance of being drawn through the exhaust piping and burned with hot exit exhaust gasses.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
If you arent able to drain back, i'd probably also steer clear of engine recirc for fear of sucking in a ton of oil on the off chance you forget to "check the can that one time"...

Not going engine recirc also keeps intercooler and compressor housing cleaner :)

In all "normal" vehicle cases, I always maintain recirc if possible and PCV, but on a high song turbo car, there are reasons not to.

A good mix of the two to avoid recirc back through the engine would be to have a draft tube welded into your exhaust at a tight acute angle under the car, and vent in there, so any oil vapors that still make it out have a chance of being drawn through the exhaust piping and burned with hot exit exhaust gasses.
I've done this before on V8 cars that I built in the past, but none had a catalytic converter. I can only assume that the port would need to be post converter so that all doesn't pass through. Or, should it be pre converter so it burns off? Thoughts? It would definitely scavenge off the vapors from the can.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
807 Posts
As for the recirc pcv system I have to run them on nearly every boosted car I build, its actually only a maintenance thing, just needs an intake system cleaner run through it every 30k miles or so to keep the compressor and heat exchanger from building up deposits. However, the catch can needs to drain, and there needs to be a check valve in line with the pcv valve and draft tube. getting the right size, angle, and position of the draft tube into the air intake will actually reduce crankcase pressures better than a vented setup.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
So today was an eventful day. Had been planning some maintenance and upgrades since coming back from Classic Honda's on the Dragon. My catch can set up was seriously inadequate and caused it to puke condensation/oil a few times. So I shipped off a valve cover to Greg at Go-Autoworks, who powdercoated it, welded in the bungs, and even welded in a pretty sweet baffle. Out with the old:

Light Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

In with the new:

Product Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

Greg welded in this sweet baffle to keep oil from slinging out the ports:

White Light Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bag

But it touched the cam caps.......... So I had to take it out which was a bummer:

Photograph Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

And yes, I did install the spark plug tube seals. Got those from Honda. They can get the tube seals, but the actual valve cover gasket is discontinued.

Next on to making up the lines.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
PTFE hose works REALLY well, however, it can be a pain in the butt to work with when you're making up the lines. One strand of stainless brand. ONE STRAND!! Was my nemesis today, and roached out one of my fittings. That's $12 I'll never get back lol.

Any how, not all PTFE is created equal. What I've used in past worked really well, and this worked fine, but the black nylon on this particular hose purchased from Amazon (Evil Energy), was exceedingly stubborn. I normally tape them up, cut around it about 7/16" or so from the end,with a razor blade and just pull off the black nylon. Well........ Not today. At one point it looked like a rock star with strung out dreads or something. Anyhow, once I figured out I had to cut it with scissors, which really sucked, but eventually I got it. And yeah, I did lose a fitting over a stupid single strand of stainless braid.

Eye Leg Water Plant Twig

Wow that looks janky........all fixed before the ferrule went on.

Hand Body jewelry Eyewear Wedding ceremony supply Wood

Took the side cutters and trimmed back the strands of stainless, and voila:

Plant Tire Bicycle tire Water Automotive tire

And of course the finished product:

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

My initial plan was to include a Vibrant air/oil separator (which I still have), and then into this vented catch can but with the air to water intercooler there just isn't room under the hood for it right now. I will eventually get it all together, but for today this was a victory nonetheless.

Later I changed the trans oil as well. Mix of Torco MTF and RTF. Works great for the metal plate LSD. Tried out what looked like a soap bottle pump to pump in the oil. I generally take out the reverse light switch and add from there but with all of the piping it is not easily accessed, so I actually filled through the fill port using the pump. Worked great.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Safety glove

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Well, so far so good. I'll drive it for a bit and check the tank to see how much condensation builds up. Wish I could've run the Vibrant Oil/Air separator, but maybe one day.

201 - 212 of 212 Posts