Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '86 Civic with the '89 teg swapped in; so far here are the issues I'm facing. I've replaced the round Civic engine connector with the teg connector and all the wires matched except for a blue wire which has no equivalent Civic match. Second, I've got a vss from the '89 donor teg which I've bolted to the back of my cluster. I'm trying to isolate the teg 10 pin male connector and the sub harness so I can plug it onto the ECU. Third, I've installed the teg underhood fuse box and am in the process of sorting its wires and hopefully get them to connect them to the Civic main fuse panel.

Is there an easier way of doing this swap? Do any of you guys have some words of advice or tips to make this wiring job easier?

TIA,
Frank

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a very helpful link. This guy did everything your looking to do, including rewiring the 89 teg to fit his 1st gen CRX. He has picks of the wiring changes and everything.

http://muller.net/sonny/crx/

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay here's my new dilemma; my brother tried to fire up the car yesterday(I started a new job so he was on his own). The starter engages and the engine is turning over, but it doesn't start. So he checks the ECU and sure enough the sucker is blinking out a couple of codes.....8 short blinks he tells me over the phone. He gors on to say that it is blinking out an additional 20 short blinks.

Can you guys clue me in on what could be wrong??

Frank

·
Registered
371 Posts
Code 8 would be the TDC Position Sensor. Code 20 would be Electric load. Try changing the the camshaft position sensor. If the good bad or are placed improperly, the engine won't start. Had it happen before.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so far I've found out that code 8 is TDC sensor and code 20 is electrical load.

So what do I have to do to rectify these two problems??

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well for code 8, like I said - try swapping the camshaft position sensor. As for code 20, I don't know and I have an 89 integra:? Might have to do with the extra wire.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eld

electric load detector may not be hooked up, hence the code. you may want to make sure that there is an ELD to connect to in the first place...

I had the same problem with my ZC swap into my 1991 Civic Si; being a Canadian-built vehicle, it didn't come with the ELD in the master fuse panel in the engine compartment; fortunately the harness from the ZC had it so I pooped it in, added a wire, and the code went away.

good luck

greg v.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, so far we've tried replacing the distributor but the car still won't start; I'm going to double check the Civic round harness which plugs into the teg engine harness just to make sure my pins all match up.

The engine seems to want to fire initially, but doesn't. All four plugs have spark, and there's lot's of fuel in the tank(after cranking a few times, you can definitely smell the fuel through the exhaust pipe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts