Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
Datsun cherry 100a
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'89 EC9 D14Z6 mini-me Project - $600 - 07-03-25- I drove it!

Hello! I've been searching around, doing some measurements and finally started my project. As title indicates, it's a '89 EC9 1.4 (d14A1) with a d16Z6 head swap, running on dual carbs. We could call it a "VTEC Carbbed D14"
The price...yeah, around $600. With junkyard tuning this amount is almost the price of new parts, joints, water pump, timming belt and tensioner, head bolts, spark plugs...The car was $131 (100€),with timing belt broken, head milling is $33 and that's almost it. Will need an electric fuel pump, already have it from a carbbed car i had some years ago, head was given to me by my employer from a blown engine and distributor will be from D14, only have to be properly adapted to the Z6 head (i'll have to correct fixing points) Last but not least an RPM switch will turn on VTEC, probably an homemade shift light switch (a friend of mine has one made by himself), components cost around $25.
Found some info here - http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8192
Here you can see my calculations to measure an engine's CR - http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62666

By my calculations CR will be 10,28, using a 1mm metal head gasket from a D16Z6, but planning on milling the head the right amount to achieve 10,5. Head will be slightly ported, will use d16 header, a 4-2-1 better then the D14 4-1, a custom intake plenum with an mpi air box and pipe will replace the nasty original one, and a sports muffler will be added, probably to the original mid section exaust pipe. Estimated power...can't imagine because couldn't find any project similar to this and don't know how will the carbs behave with VTEC.

Will be posting updates as the project evolutes.

Here are some pics:

1- Piston's view 2,3 - Compatibility test

Some port job

cheers.

· Registered
Datsun cherry 100a
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds great !!!!!!!!! i have wanted to try a vtec + carb set up ,for a long time !!!!!!

i am 100% going to keep my eyes on this thread !!!!
I thank you for that! From the first day you've been one of the few interested in my work and i wonder if you know any place with more ppl like you...Thanks in advance for any reply.
cheers.

· Registered
867 Posts
Sounds funny project. Are those domed pistons original in D14A1?
I just bought '89 D14A1 dualcarbed HB for 50 euros few days ago lol 8)

· Banned
3,953 Posts
We have done vtec carb setups but on B motors. Never tried it on a D motor

· Registered
Datsun cherry 100a
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn bro I feel like I was raped. Bought my shell for 300.00 and it is primered. Good luck with the carbing!
If you think you're raped comparing to mine's price, check rushi's one:cussing:
Thanks for the wishes.

Great work man!!!

i'm very suprised to see a portuguese project in here... specially your's, using the D14A1!

Are you registed in any Portuguese foruns? Where are you from?
Do you have a MSN messenger address?

Boa Sorte! Fica bem
And i'm surprised to read portuguese language here :p
it's a D14 because it's what showed up...i prefer b's, but are very expensive for me, although this is more interesting for being an original and unique one...noone would spent money on a d14, i just got lucky for having the needed parts for the project, or i wouldn't do this aswell.:TU:
Yes, i'm registered in Vtecpt, but can't stand being there...my registry has almost two years and i've only made one or two posts. Everyone knows everything by earing that someone eard someplace someguy did something...Noone knows shit, and mostly they don't do anything, they send to someone to do it...no value at all:TD:
Mano, sou de Benavente mas não uso messenger, a patroa é mto ciúmenta e prefiro não o usar do que estar constantemente sob suspeita;) o ppl comunica por aqui. Fica bem!

Sounds funny project. Are those domed pistons original in D14A1?
I just bought '89 D14A1 dualcarbed HB for 50 euros few days ago lol 8)
yes, they're stock. Damn, better deal than i did? Is it fully working? Docs and everything?

I'm following your project as well :D

I'm also Portuguese and have a D14A1 in a Honda Concerto
I've a concerto too, but a d16. stay tuned, if things go as i plan, it'll fire it up next weekend.

Cheers to you all.

· Registered
3 Posts
indio said:
Yes, i'm registered in Vtecpt, but can't stand being there...my registry has almost two years and i've only made one or two posts. Everyone knows everything by earing that someone eard someplace someguy did something...Noone knows shit, and mostly they don't do anything, they send to someone to do it...no value at all
thats so true.... :(

Abraço

· Registered
Datsun cherry 100a
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
new fotos

Today, sunday, another 5 hours at the shop...have to make it running soon: )
Head port is done! just enlarged the intake entrance by 2mm, cleaned up some material around valve seats and whole combustion chamber...started cleaning up the valves and settle them. the exaust ones were pretty hard to clean, too much carbon on them. There are some new pics, now with another camera but yet not perfect, can't seem to capture close-ups...macro seems to focus only past 1foot! : (

· Registered
594 Posts
Excellent work!! Keep it up.
Reminds me of my D14 in the good ol' days before I swapped for the ZC SOHC.

Vtec works a treat..you will find the power will keep coming until about 7800-8000! Wicked.

The jets will require enlarging btw - 180-->190/195 a small drill bit will do.

· Registered
Datsun cherry 100a
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent work!! Keep it up.
Reminds me of my D14 in the good ol' days before I swapped for the ZC SOHC.

Vtec works a treat..you will find the power will keep coming until about 7800-8000! Wicked.

The jets will require enlarging btw - 180-->190/195 a small drill bit will do.
Thanks for the advice ,bricheun. I'll see if i manage to buy an A/F ratio meter to properly tune it.

Project updates:

won't fire it up this weekend!
Head studs will come from Belgium, arriving next week...head arrived yesterday, after 3 days at the machining shop. spent the afternoon "settling"(don't know if this term is correct) valves...valve seats were really srewed up! tomorow, another day at the shop, will assemble all head parts and do as much as i can to left it waiting only for the studs arrival.
Here some pics of today, i think this time close-ups are fine...borrowed another camera , this cyber shot done a great work!

· Registered
Datsun cherry 100a
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Updates

Rocker's shafts and camshaft were a little scratched, probably due bottom end faillure and consequent oil pressure drop...or just running wear. Had to smooth them up, shafts and cam lobes, using some sand paper and patience : D
Assembled evrything and put head on top of the engine : D
Be aware when assembling the head; exaust springs are the red ones, stiffer than the other ones, 3,5 mm thick exaust, 3,3 mm thick intake springs. The closed turns are facing down. Don't change the position of the intake rockers and don't drop none of those tiny cilinders that make us laught! Such a simple mechanism with such great results! Made detailed pictures of every part described here, any questions, just ask.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.