Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello have a 89 dx civic sedan d15b2 looks all stock. The car was sitting for 5 years with hood all windows up no water ingress suspected in harness parked on a driveway with not suspected rats, mice, or squerals [no nests visible] . I replaced oil, gas, spark plugs, plug wires, battery, main relay, ignition relay. I inspected dizzy cap and rotor all looks well is mounted and seated properly. Inspected fuses under hood all looked well. Inspected fuses under driver panel all look well . Note alternator solenoid does have a 15 instead of a 10 fuse , will swap and see if it fails. Checked ecu bulb one single short flash no additional flashes. Checked voltage at pump...... 6.8 volts after replacing and doing everything listed above im talking about the plug thay connects directly into the top of the fuel pump under the fuel pump cover thats held on with 3 screws. The plug next to it has 11.8v the plug has 4 wires. Dont know what it does to be honest. Have a new pump. I will test the old pump first by connecting to a battery to see if it will prime that way. The engine block is covered in oil from a bad valve cover gasket. Would that effect a ground some how and make it so it wont start ? People keep talking about grounds online after googling or they say its the #14 fuse. Any suggestions are welcome i could use some help as ive done most of what i knew to do. Thanks

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
remove the fuse for the fuel pump, and use a multimeter to verify fuel pump is getting power there.

If it is, remove the bottom cushion of the rear seat, and test for voltage at the fuel pump plug. you can strip the wire jacket and test without removing anything, as long as you have a secure way of coating or sealing the wire after testing.

5 years of sitting with modern gas usually translates into seizing our tiny fuel pumps. Very little gas under 91 octane nowadays is zero-ethanol content, and the ethanol content absorbs and traps water/moisture.

You could try the oldschool "kick the fuel tank" if you can lift the car high enough to get a square hit on centerish-forward bottom of the tank.

If it works that way, I suggest you do not trust it, and instead go through with a pump replacement.

Beware, kicking tank has sideeffects such as rust getting into eyes, dirt falling into eyes, and spasms of random vehicle destruction from above side effects

1 - 2 of 2 Posts