Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Chevy K1500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2010 I joined this forum because I had a 90 crx dx model, sadly I sold that car about 3 months later and hated it ever since. I've been looking online for a new crx project for the past year now with not so much money to spend on one. I finally found one that I would go look at. It was on craigslist for $950 and I had talked the guy down to $500. I got there to look at it and it was a bit more ruff than what it looked like in the pictures but I still wanted it. We started to push the crx out onto the trailer cause it didn't run and hadn't been running for 4 years now. I got in the car and there weren't any keys. He looked in his house for about 35 to 40 minutes but couldn't find them. As he came back into the garage and told me about the key situation, his wife comes out and yells at him to "get that ****ing car out of the garage." She has a 2015 corvette that sat beside the crx. He then looked back at me and said he'll sell it for $100. I now have a 1989 Honda crx si with a/c, and also with the title. I towed the car back to the shop I work at and started taking the lock cylinder for the cargo that goes behind the seats out since the car was all original. He had taken the interior apart to turn the car into a roadrace car, but kept everything. I took the cylinder to Trickett Honda and had them make me a new key. I don't have pictures right now, but will post some up soon.

·
Registered
844 Posts
u can bypass the key in under 2 minutes to start it but to turn the wheel it would need to be removed or replaced

good find on the rex now we need pictures

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
358 Posts
One I saw in England recently in similar condition visually was about 10 times that price. And had water stains from the head gasket.

If you next tell us that the engine runs smoothly, I'll allow myself a touch of envy.

·
Registered
1994 Chevy K1500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I pushed the car I the shop and took out the spark plugs, and used a co-workers video camera to look inside the cylinders, and 1-3 had some carbon build up but clean. Cylinder 4 had slight surface rust in it. I spun the crank by hand to see if it would even move first, which it did, but it would stop at the rust. So I put some trans fluid in all the cylinders to clean them up and let it sit for about 5 hours. After doing that it spins over freely and very easily. Tried to charge the battery during that time but wouldn't take any charge. I'll have to replace that later. I drained the gas tank since it's sat for 4 years, and i'm glad I did. It was so corroded with rust inside the tank. I'm going to flush the system out and also replace the tank too. I also drained the oil and replaced the oil filter. The oil was surprisingly clean, and didn't have any metal in it. I also started putting the interior back together to make sure I had everything. I am missing the cargo cover and the spare tire cover that I know of so far.

·
Registered
1994 Chevy K1500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I haven't been on here since February, but I got some things done to the car now. I replaced the battery, fuel tank, fuel pump assembly, sending unit, fuel filter, cleaned the original injectors which weren't actually bad, main fuel pump relay, and got the car fired up for the first time in 4 years. The motor runs really smooth, and the trans shifts smoothly without any noises or grinds. The shifter has a ton of slop to it though, and I need to adjust the cable for the clutch.

·
Registered
1994 Chevy K1500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It definitely still needs more done to it to be road worthy at least to me. A lot of people keep trying to get me to drive it the way it is, but I won't till I feel it's done or at least safe to be driven on the road with other people.

·
Registered
1994 Chevy K1500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice find, the shifter slop can be fixed with some bushings.
That's what I was thinking. I've already got some polyurethane bushings on order, along with a new brake master cylinder. Does anyone here know if 1997 Civic lx model front pads and rotors will fit on an 89 CRX SI?

·
Registered
1994 Chevy K1500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trickett Honda? whereabouts do you live in TN?

Also I'm subscribed
I live in Mount Juliet, Tennessee and I work at Two Rivers Ford in Donelson. Funny thing is I work for Ford, but own a 97 Honda civic lx, an 89 crx si, and a 95 gmc suburban diesel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts