Honda D Series Forum banner

88/91 Si Tran

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  funkified 
#1 ·
I bought a centerforce duel force clutch for my d16y8 97 civic a few months ago, now I want to use it on the same engine but with and si tranny? Will it still bolt up/work?

Reactions: DirtyDC4
#8 ·
`89 and up the trans will fit to the clutch, but you need a `90 or newer flywheel.

#10 · (Edited)
not to hijack the thread or anything but it runs along the same lines as the OP.

ill be swapping a z6(from a 95Si) into my EF(90Si) and ill be using the EF cable tranny.

I want a new clutch, specifically the exedy organic stage 1.

so do i get the clutch for the year of the engine or the year of my tranny? exedy has 2 diff part #'s for both years so not sure which one to get, although they have the same specs. part #'s are 08801A and 08801B.

i think they come with different throw out bearings, but ive read for this swap that i should use the EF throwout bearing, is that right?

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/Exedy_Stage_1_Organic_Clutch_Kit
can anyone answer that?

#11 ·
not to hijack the thread or anything but it runs along the same lines as the OP.

ill be swapping a z6(from a 95Si) into my EF(90Si) and ill be using the EF cable tranny.

I want a new clutch, specifically the exedy organic stage 1.

so do i get the clutch for the year of the engine or the year of my tranny? exedy has 2 diff part #'s for both years so not sure which one to get, although they have the same specs. part #'s are 08801A and 08801B.

i think they come with different throw out bearings, but ive read for this swap that i should use the EF throwout bearing, is that right?

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/Exedy_Stage_1_Organic_Clutch_Kit
can anyone answer that?
first it will depend on the year of your trans.

'88 is its own animal with a 21 spline input shaft
'89+ cable SI trans are all the same
'89 motor has a 200mm flywheel surface
'90+ motors have a 212mm flywheel surface

so if you have an '88 trans, you need an '88 clutch. if you have an '89 trans with the stock '89 flywheel, you need an '89 clutch. BUT if you have an '89 trans with a '90+ flywheel, you can use any sohc clutch from '90+, they are all the same. the only difference is the TO bearings, you need a cable SI TO bearing as long as you are using the cable trans. the only reason clutch "kits" are seperated by years is because they come with TO bearings. if you are just buying the PP/disc, '90+ are the same

your '90 si trans with a 212mm flywheel will use the 08801B clutch kit

did i confuse you at all?

#17 ·
ah damn....what years again? was it 88+ or 92+?

anyways another question about the clutch - i plan on boosting after my rebuild do you think the clutch would hold up or should i go for the stage 2 kit? it will be my DD too so i want it to be easy to drive most of the time.
stage 2 of what brand?

i ran my Centerforce stage2 on my turbo setup. probably made just over 200whp. t3 .42/.48@ 12psi. clutch held great!

#16 ·
ryan89crx - just checked out your build threads they are freakin awesome! cant wait too see it done. i wish i was able to do that kind of work myself but lacking in the skills and knowledge so i gotta pay someone to do it.

anyways another question about the clutch - i plan on boosting after my rebuild do you think the clutch would hold up or should i go for the stage 2 kit? it will be my DD too so i want it to be easy to drive most of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.