Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently Honda lists one part number for both springs.

(exhaust = 14762-PM3-014, intake = 14761-PM3-013), fitting 88-91 Si/DX and 92-95 CX.

I’ve heard through the grape vine that previous to 1993, the DX and Si had different springs. Then Honda used up all the softer springs, and superseded the number to just one spring for mid 1993 and after.

What I need to prove this correct, or to debunk, is the original part numbers for the DX valve springs. If they exist, I can have them verified. if u have this, gimme gimme gimme!:bigok:

I have both springs side by side, and visually, they are identical. Anyone have ideas for testing their strength? I figure put a weight on it, and see which compresses more.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, due to the lack of part numbers i decided to ask some friends at work if they had anything to measure a valve spring.

my buddy gave me this to use. the b2 spring rated about 142-145psi and the a6 spring was VERY near to the same, just shy of 140psi. imho, they are the same spring.
:bigok:

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Well, due to the lack of part numbers i decided to ask some friends at work if they had anything to measure a valve spring.

my buddy gave me this to use. the b2 spring rated about 142-145psi and the a6 spring was VERY near to the same, just shy of 140psi. imho, they are the same spring.
:bigok:
where the hell he picked that up?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
you need to list more info on how you did your test.. if your game, i CAN verify your results on a real spring tester. we have one in our hydrolic shop for testing pressure springs in hydrolic rams (like flight controls, etc).

·
Formerly weebeastie
936 Posts
Valve springs.

Hmm. Think that there's some mistake here. I was always under the impression that the b2/a6 springs were the same but the b1 had the weaker springs. b1 springs are marginal when used with an a6 cam swap. I know this from my own experience especially if they have alot of miles on them!

Good luck with the part numbers. I'll call around and see what I come up with. I also have a valve spring tester. We use it in the race shop all the time. I'm more than willing to test the b1 versus the a6

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm. Think that there's some mistake here. I was always under the impression that the b2/a6 springs were the same but the b1 had the weaker springs. b1 springs are marginal when used with an a6 cam swap. I know this from my own experience especially if they have alot of miles on them!

Good luck with the part numbers. I'll call around and see what I come up with. I also have a valve spring tester. We use it in the race shop all the time. I'm more than willing to test the b1 versus the a6
well this is B2 vs A6. please dont clutter this thread with info regarding other springs!

i am 100% confident using my b2 springs. what more can i say? hehe. if anyone wants to test their A6 springs against B2 springs and post the info in here, go for it.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you need to list more info on how you did your test.. if your game, i CAN verify your results on a real spring tester. we have one in our hydrolic shop for testing pressure springs in hydrolic rams (like flight controls, etc).
i would like to take you up on that but i dont have extra springs around. i do have extra a6 springs if you have b2 springs, and wouldnt mind mailing them back. i could send you one intake and one exhaust.

about how i tested; i put the springs in a vice, and torqued it down till there was about .010 gap around the entire coil at every point. both took about 6.5 rotations of the vice handle to get to max pressure. i retested them each 3 times. wiggling the vice slightly gave negligible differences in pressure readings. the only way i could get higher than 145psi was when the coils were bottomed out.

all i wanted to know was which spring is stiffer, not their actually stiffness, per say.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i would like to take you up on that but i dont have extra springs around. i do have extra a6 springs if you have b2 springs, and wouldnt mind mailing them back. i could send you one intake and one exhaust.

about how i tested; i put the springs in a vice, and torqued it down till there was about .010 gap around the entire coil at every point. both took about 6.5 rotations of the vice handle to get to max pressure. i retested them each 3 times. wiggling the vice slightly gave negligible differences in pressure readings. the only way i could get higher than 145psi was when the coils were bottomed out.

all i wanted to know was which spring is stiffer, not their actually stiffness, per say.
i am pretty sure i can "aquire" some b2 springs. and yes, i would return them. since i have no use for a6 springs in a f2b build ;).

the tester we have, i would be able to measure compression (in lb) by 1/32th of an inch (or tighter with the calipers) of compression.

btw: your test is missing info... free length, compressed length, and pressure numbers per length measurement (whichever you choose, by the inch or less as long as they are all the same).

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i am pretty sure i can "aquire" some b2 springs. and yes, i would return them. since i have no use for a6 springs in a f2b build ;).

the tester we have, i would be able to measure compression (in lb) by 1/32th of an inch (or tighter with the calipers) of compression.

btw: your test is missing info... free length, compressed length, and pressure numbers per length measurement (whichever you choose, by the inch or less as long as they are all the same).
cool, thanks for the extra info. unfortunately, i really have no desire to test any further. i returned the tool to my co-worker today.

i didnt record free length, or compressed length. the springs are visually identical. same length unsprung. the coils appear to be the same thickness. ill snap a pic and get an unsprung length with my caliper. as well as coil thickness if i can squeeze the caliper in there.

if there is a difference... its to the point that i don't care.

(dammit just got busted by my boss typing up this response!!! haha)

edit: i am curious... what would the unsprung length, compressed length tell us?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
this is info i found on this site awhile ago
d16a6 valve spring free height
intake: 1.913
exhaust:1.937

d15b7(same as b2 iirc) free height
intake:2.043
exhaust:2.176

also the a6 springs i have are much thicker coils thats why there shorter
to prevent coil bind

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It would change the spring rate, I think.

to prevent coil bind

no offense boys but lets leave the guessing/iirc's to another thread. ill take measurements when i get home.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
It would change the spring rate, I think.
correct. springs loose it over time due to heat cycles and use.

to prevent coil bind
i have seen those also. but each set is different. hence why you have to measure before after during.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
busted out the caliper. these are exhaust springs btw.

a6 - 1.919in unsprung length, .146in coil thickness
b2 - 1.924in unsprung length, .146in coil thickness

the b2 was a lower k head. unknown k on the a6 (purchased as a core to build for 11's... see thread link :p )

im satisfied they are the same spring, but if anyone has any ideas or dimensions to test, lmk :rockon:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts