Honda D Series Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah, use the highest octane possible.

AVOID KNOCK @ ALL COST. The extra cost in fuel is well worth saving your motor.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
its not worth saving $2.00 at each fill up in my opinion. Do it right or dont do it at all......period.

If you are cheaping out on the gas, i wonder how badly you will cheap out on the tune, which directly relates to how well your car will run with the fuel you use.....................

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'd go with the highest octane available boosted motors performance are directly related to the quality of fuel used
Performance has nothing to do with how high the octane is, octane has to do with the likelyhood of detonation.

If you are cheaping out on the gas, i wonder how badly you will cheap out on the tune, which directly relates to how well your car will run with the fuel you use.....................
How does one "cheap out on the tune"?? The person tuning my car knows what they are doing, how much they get paid has nothing to do with it.

I know it isn't the "safest" route to go, hell if I was really worried I'd be putting in 104 octane everyday. I am more interested in "learning" what the engine can take and cannot take.. If nobody has ever tried it then say so, until someone does nobody will ever know. I have read about people that run 15+psi on 93 octane. So would it not stand to reason that you may not need such high octane while running less than half that amount of boost??

·
Registered
271 Posts
Performance has nothing to do with how high the octane is, octane has to do with the likelyhood of detonation.

How does one "cheap out on the tune"?? The person tuning my car knows what they are doing, how much they get paid has nothing to do with it.

I know it isn't the "safest" route to go, hell if I was really worried I'd be putting in 104 octane everyday. I am more interested in "learning" what the engine can take and cannot take.. If nobody has ever tried it then say so, until someone does nobody will ever know. I have read about people that run 15+psi on 93 octane. So would it not stand to reason that you may not need such high octane while running less than half that amount of boost??
Y dont you try it and let us know what happens :TU: since u can learn by trial and error...

·
Registered
901 Posts
i boost 7psi, and i ALWAYS FILL UP with 91 or better. it's what, a .20 per gallon difference. your tank doesn't exceed 12 gallons, right? what's $2.20? be nice to your motor, especially if you're going to take the time to boost it and tune it.

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
Its either 2.00 now or about 700 times more later, just use higher octane, if you want cheap gas, put the boost on 0psi = no turbo.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

man, your kind of a moron arent you. Do you honestly think that for as many years as turbos have been around, that some dill hole like you hasnt accidently put 87 octance in his tank a reaped the outcome of detonation? Ive heard of people getting a bad tank of gas and only running 10lbs of boost, and still blowing there motor. But hey man, go ahead and use your car/daily driver as a science expiriment, but everyone here already knows that the higer the octane, the harder to ignite, therefore, the more control it has while combusting and NOT causing detonation like 87 will.

but hey, real cool bro............keep up the good work and let us know how long you last on your 87. :TU:

·
Black Dynamite
1991 HONDA Civic
5,880 Posts

uhh yeah it does I had an SE supercharged nissan xterra and when I didn't use the highest octane the performance sucked

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
uhh yeah it does I had an SE supercharged nissan xterra and when I didn't use the highest octane the performance sucked
Some newer vehicles actually have a octane sensor in the fuel tank, if you don't have higher octane fuel in the tank it changes the timing.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
87 works fine, but id still run 92 to help avoid detonation

i accidentally filled up on 87 once after i was turbo, never had an issue. i knew i shouldnt beat on it until my next fill-up, but i did anyways. it ran fine, although i had a conservative tune

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The same ammount of heat is contained in a gallon of 87 as there is in a gallon of 93. However, you can compress the 93 more without it detonating.
PV=nRT
Higher octane allows you to run more boost thus making more power.

If you want to tune your engine to 87 thats fine but you're sacrificing power. If the car is tuned to within 10% of detonation in the cold weather, that same tune will detonate in the summer.

If you do this I would at least add a knock sensor to your setup. But like the others have said, why risk your engine for a couple bucks in gas? If you're really that hard up for money maybe you should look at your priorities and make sure you can afford to drive a turbo'd car.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
87 works fine, but id still run 92 to help avoid detonation

i accidentally filled up on 87 once after i was turbo, never had an issue. i knew i shouldnt beat on it until my next fill-up, but i did anyways. it ran fine, although i had a conservative tune

Thank you Ryan, that is what I was looking for. Someone to chime in that has ACTUAL experience with what I am talking about.

The same ammount of heat is contained in a gallon of 87 as there is in a gallon of 93. However, you can compress the 93 more without it detonating.
PV=nRT
Higher octane allows you to run more boost thus making more power.
Yes, you are right.. in my earlier post I was more or less poking fun at people that seem to think higher octane fuel has "more power" and will make your engine "run nicer" Hell you even see the gasoline companies advertising that, and it's a bunch of BS! I used to get people trying to talk me into putting premium fuel in my motorcycle cuz it "makes it run better" I'm like wft for? it has a compression ratio of 8.5:1 At this point these same people would look at me with a blank face cuz they had no idea of what I was talking about, and I would just laugh.

If the motor blows it's not that big of a deal to me, it's just a junkyard motor that I haven't sunk a nickel into and I already have a spare one laying around. Actually I'd kind of like to see one blow up just so I can laugh about it. Why put 92 octane in because I'm too paranoid to hurt the motor when I'm really not. In the meantime I may just learn something of the limits of 87 octane when there seems to be so little knowledge on the subject. Also, the way to learn is to slowly work your way up to it, like run 91, then 89 ect. and in the cooler months. Not to wait till the hottest days of July and put in 87 and drive the crap out of it. At the end of the day it's just a cheap-assed motor that can be replaced.

·
Registered
629 Posts
you're an idiot. It WILL sacrifice power because it will have to be tuned more conservatively. Sure, it can be done....but why? What is the point?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.